13

-
13: The Goose Chase
-

"Marinette, what's going on? Are you ok?" Chat Noir kneels down in front of her and grips her shoulders. She throws herself on him and hits his chest with soft punches. "You idiot! You freaking idiot! You could... You really could have told me all of this on your own!" She sobs.

He sees the ring was on the floor, but he wasn't mad. She probably put it on. "What happened?" He lifts her head up to meet his eyes. "I saw everything... Everything I needed to know about you... I'm so sorry Adrien.. you didn't deserve this" she grabs his hand and puts it on her shoulder again.

He reaches for the ring and sees that the paw was the only thing glowing. It was blinking. "I guess I'm running out of time" he sighed. "What?! For what? Don't tell me you're gonna die" she gasps. "No. No I won't die... I'll just stay like this forever... But the servants won't... They'll die I think... And I feel horrible for them because I can't break this curse" he looked at her.

He loved her. But he already knew she couldn't love him like that just yet. They just became friends. It was just a matter of tonight. If the mob came, it'll probably take Marinette, kill him, and leave. He had to give her up. "Go to them Marinette. They're here for you. They want you back and me dead" he said.

"I won't let them kill you" she stands up and walks to the door. "Come with me. We will settle this."
--------------------

Marinette strode through the castle like she owned the place, going through hall after hall and almost into the main foyer. She stopped just before she went down the staircase and peeked around just to see that there were men and furniture fighting each other. The furniture couldn't die, so she didn't know how that worked.

"Stay here" she told Chat. He looked over and then shook his head. "What are you going to do? Just tell them to leave? I told you before, it's just best you go-" "no Adrien, we are going to solve this. I want them to at least leave you alone" she pats his shoulder.

Adrien shuddered at the usage of his name. She has said it before as confirmation, but now her using it instead of Chat Noir was... Foreign. "Alright. I'll stay" he nods and she nods back.

She turns around and starts going down the stairs. "Stop!" She yelled, and caught some of the people's attention. Some kept fighting. Luka turns to see her and runs in her direction. She immediately notices him and starts heading even more so down the stairs, grateful to see a familiar face.

"Luka! Why are you here!?" She said once she reached him, and he took her into a hug. "I was the one who organized the group who's here to rescue you. We are here to take you home. Where's the beast your parents talked about?" He asked. "Beast? Oh they said that to you? Luka, he isn't what you think he is-" "please don't say you became friends with your kidnapper, Marinette. He was a warden!" He said.

"He is my friend. Don't speak ill about him. He was mean before, but he's kind now and-" "don't you think this is a bit absurd? You befriended someone who at first was your jailer, and... How? Why? I'm so confused" he paused for a minute and looked up. He saw movement just by the stairs. "You know what? Let's just leave now. It's getting close to midnight and your parents are worried" he said. He grabs her arm and tries to descend back down the stairs, but a loud roar stops him and Marinette in their step.

"Don't you dare touch her like that!" Chat yelled at him. Practically everybody stopped fighting and turned to see the beast at the top of the west wing stairs. Luka, angry at the sudden outburst, had enough of this and started rushing towards chat, two stairs at a time. "Stop! Leave him alone Luka!" Marinette started running up the stairs too, but she was slower as she was still in her big dress.

Racing through the long and confusing corridors, Marinette was getting tired, and wondered how the two guys had the stamina to continue running after each other. She was obviously on her feet the entire day, so she whips off her shoes and continues running on the cool carpet.

The room started looking familiar as they drew even closer to Chat's room. What was the purpose in leading Luka to his room? Was he scared? Was he trying to get Luka to get away from her? They were so far ahead, and Marinette knew she couldn't reach them in time for something to go down between the two.