10

-
10: The Evening in Paris
-

Marinette couldn't believe this. One minute she was in a big cold library in a damp and dark castle, and next she's in the middle of bustling Paris in the evening time. Chat looked surprised too, as it was his first time using the mirror. And being human.

He didn't look bad either. He actually looked rather handsome in her mind. She could see that his eyes were still a vibrant green, and she could also tell he looked to be pretty lean, even though he was wearing a cloak.

"Are you checking me out?" He laughed as he glanced down at her. They were walking through a crosswalk, and she hadn't even noticed where she was heading, and bumped into a pole. "Ouch!" She yelped and clung onto Chat Noir's chest.

"Sorry for distracting you, m'lady" he said. "Yeah well, I was already distracted beforehand! And n-no I wasn't checking you out! Don't get so cocky like this" she pouts and he laughed. "You're too much! It's funny too, because I shouldn't even be here with you! Maybe you wanted me to come to Paris as well" he smirked. She hit his chest playfully and rolled her eyes.

"Please. Maybe I felt pity that you haven't left your castle in forever. Don't get your mind all knotted up" she said. The two laughed and continued strolling through the street.

Suddenly, it seemed more familiar to Marinette. "Oh! Oh look! That was my favorite restaurant when I was a child! Can we go?" She asks. He looks around. "Maybe. I don't know how long this illusion would last though... Just keep your mind on it and we can try to get inside" he said.

The two walked into the restaurant and a waiter comes almost immediately to tend them. "We don't even have any money" Marinette whispers to Chat Noir. He grins. "Leave that to me" he says. She really hoped that he would play fair and pay for their food in the end, but something told her that he was going to do something tricky.

The two sat down at a table and were served a pitcher of water. "Well this is really a first. I've never used the mirror, like I said before, so I never thought that it would change my appearance to fit the culture... But I don't even understand why I'm wearing this cloak" he starts untying the little strings that kept the cloak around his body and took it off.

Marinette finally got a good look at him. He was wearing a black suit with a green tie, probably to compliment his eyes but she wasn't sure. He looked pretty much like royalty. "How are you so comfortable like this?" She asked, gesturing to his clothes. "Oh well... I don't really know. I haven't been this clothed in years, especially in this same get up! I should ask you the same thing. You're wearing such a beautiful dress" he says.

"Thanks... It doesn't feel like much of a change. It's just a dress, and I like making dresses" she said. "I remember you said you liked designing... So you actually make them too?!" He gasped. "Of course! Why waste all the effort of designing a cute dress on paper if you can never see it come to fruition? They turn out cute. That dress I've been wearing since I came here, I finished making it just a week ago" she said. He nodded. "She looks so passionate talking about what she loves..." He thought.

They placed their orders and the waiter moved closer to Marinette. "I feel like your boyfriend here is going to make a move on you tonight!" The waiter whispered. Marinette flushed with color and didn't say anything. The waiter left and Chat tilts his head.

"What did they say?" He asked. "They thought we were dating" Marinette puffed her cheeks. "Are you opposed to that?" He raised a brow. "I mean, it's weird! You're technically my warden!" She cried. People started giving weird glances out and Chat leaned in. "I don't want you to think of me like that... I at least grew on your company. Can we at least be friends?" He gave a small smile.

She felt her cheeks were heating up. He was so beautiful to look at. No wonder why the waiter said "boyfriend." He did look her age. "Alright. Friends. Glad we got this covered up. Though, I don't know what my parents would think if I told them I befriended the beast that jailed their daughter" she smirked. "Well the jailed don't go out to fancy restaurants in Paris with their wardens, do they?" He laughed.

She chuckled. The night was going smoothly. She didn't really want to leave. But if she released the mirror from her grip, what would she do? How long does it take for her to hold onto this memory? "I'm going to end the illusion" she said. "What? Why?" He asks. "I can't stand being here right now... It's my favorite restaurant... But I can't enjoy this moment knowing it would fade away into the castle again" she frowned.

Chat held her hand. "Before I say something I would regret, let me at least take you dancing in the ballroom tonight" he said. His gloved fingers rub gently on Marinette's hand. "... Alright.. and thanks for this" she held up the mirror which she promptly placed down on the table. The illusion faded and the two were sitting at a table in the library.

"Meet me in the ballroom I showed you in an hour from now... Please" he said. She looked up to see he was back to being the normal beastly creature she knew. She nods, but she felt really sad now. Why can't she go home? Friends won't keep their friends captive in their homes... She wanted to see Alya, and Luka, and even missed Chloe's snarky attitude. She made her way back to her room and curled up on the bed.