5

-
Chapter 5: The Chat Noir
-

Marinette did not expect to wake up in a soft lofty bed in a huge room. When she did though, she was thoroughly surprised and rather amused. The owner of this castle treated her better. Maybe. No.

She saw something move and she realized the door was opening. "Good morning, Mademoiselle. I take it your sleep was a good one?" Said something much smaller than her view. She peered over the bed to see a paint brush looking up with content. She shrieked. The paint brush, seemingly standing on its own, looked up with concern.

"W-w-who are you?! What are you?!" She asked, covering herself in the plush blankets. The paintbrush laughed. "What am I? Honestly, I'm not quite so sure anymore. I'm more a paintbrush day by day than my original form.... My name is Nathaniel." he said.

"Original form" She frowned as she picked him up. "Yes. Original form. I dont think we can tell you quite why we are what we are now. Because, well... You know. Maybe at a later time" he said. She nodded. She wondered what happened here.

"So, back to my question.." he said. "Oh. Right. I think it was a good sleep. I cried myself to sleep though so... Oh my goodness... I can't believe I'm actually here" she rubbed her head. "We heard what you did last night. The master was angry and confused as to why you risked your life for your father" he said. "Why? He wants to know why? Has he never been in this type of situation? You'd risk your entire life for those you'd love, even if it means staying in this creepy castle" she said, balling up her hands into fists in the sheets.

"Yes, I get that. He just hasn't had the best upbringing to care much about his late parents. Well, he did care a lot about his mom. But he just obeyed his father after her death" he said, sighing. Silence. She was processing this info quietly. She set him down on the bed.

"I bet he doesn't take too kindly to commoners" she looked down. "Oh, he really didn't. He saw them as an ego boost. Though, he always wished when he was young to see the outside world. Now he's trapped here" he says, hopping down. She saw him hop to the door. "Do you want to come downstairs for breakfast? I take it you're hungry" he said immediately when her stomach growled. She blushed.

"Yes. I'll come. But I really don't want to see him.. that beast..." She shuddered. "I wouldn't call him that. His name is Chat Noir" he said. Marinette thought of that as a rather cute image, but not suiting of him since he's obviously bigger than a normal black cat. "Ok... I guess breakfast wouldn't hurt..." Marinette got up and brushed off her dress skirt.
-------------------

Chat Noir was not having it. He knew that she was going to come down for breakfast, but in his mind all he could think about was how bad he blew everything. It's not everyday when a girl that could potentially break your curse just... Walks right in.

He grumbled, staring at himself in a broken vanity. He was ugly. Far too ugly to ever get someone so beautiful like her to... He shakes his head and breaks the vanity some more. A soft knock at the door startled him and he snaps towards it. "What is it?" He growled.

"Uhm... s-sir, it's me, Tikki. Breakfast has been served downstairs a-and-" he opens the door to see the little teapot on the floor. She squealed in astonishment. He picks her up to have her face to face. "Have you seen her yet?" He asks. She raised a small painted brow on her ceramic face. "The girl? Why, I was in the committee that helped bring her to her room after she fell asleep in that cold dungeon you locked her in! Honestly, not a good move, especially if she-" "was the one?" He furrowed his brows.

"I'm not implying!" She squeaked. He rolls his eyes. "She would never fall for me. Simple as that" he grumbled and placed her back on the floor. He was on his way, just like Marinette, to the dining room.
-------------------

She was stuck sitting right in front of Chat Noir, who slurped down in condescending sips. She didn't mind though, he probably thought he was superior and obviously looked down upon her. "So... I take it you can't use your own utensils?" Marinette said, looking up with a challenge in her eyes. She wanted to know what's up with this castle. Who he is. Why he's just... Alone.

He sneered at her and looked away. It almost looked to her that he was embarrassed. "Don't want to speak to me? I didn't want to even come down because I was too scared to see you. But here I am. And here you were already. So it's impolite of me to leave..." Marinette wavered a bit and he caught it. "You want to pick something with me, girl?" He growled. She stood from her chair with force.

"Obviously! You kidnapped my dad! He probably assumed this castle was abandoned, and I did too when I rushed here to save him! And now you hold me hostage because you aren't even kind enough to let strangers off the hook! We aren't even stealing anything! What is so important that you need to roar and scream about, huh?" She broke. He stood up too.

"You don't understand. Nobody does! You could go for all I care. Really! I take this opportunity right now for you to just leave! Go away! And never return!" He yells. His harsh and raspy voice made an impact on her that she stood there for a second before she runs off. She left. He stares at the plate in front of him and throws it.

"M-master you shouldn't have done that! What if she was the one to break the spell?" Nathaniel hops near Chat Noir. "She definitely isn't. She can't even stand the sight of me let alone yell at me. She hates me" he fumed, but looked to be calming down. He could see out the corner of his eye that out the window she was fleeing into the woods, running for her life.

He goes to the window and watches. "The wolves are still out there. It could be dangerous for her to leave so early still..." Nathaniel looks down. Chat Noir grumbled and looked away. "What do I care..." He said, but he knew that he just kicked out his last hope.