3

-
Chapter 3: The Unwelcoming
-

Surprisingly, Tom had gotten so lost that he didn't even know the trail wasn't there anymore. He just assumed. The horse was tired and losing speed. He tried reassuring it and giving praise, but it only made it worse.

He thought all hope was lost, but suddenly a miracle happened. He had closed his eyes, about to doze off in his seat, but a bright light shone and made him open. He was in a grand clearing, the big bright full moon almost blinding. He then realized the big shadow that once loomed was not of a mountain he previously assumed. It was a castle.

Tall, dark, and haunting, the castle stood as if it was an unwelcoming abode. But he didn't care. Tom and Sabine were tired. Extremely tired. He didn't care that the gates were closed shut or that the thorns from the roses were starting to prick the poor horse's feet. He got off and pushed the gate open enough for the wagon to get through. Sabine had woken up and yawned. "Where are we?" She asked.

"We are at an abandoned castle it seems. I think we should try and rest here for the night if possible..." he said. "Oh I don't think it's abandoned, dear. See, there is a light put near a stable for the horses. I think it's just unkept... I hope the guests won't mind if we stay. "She said. "We must at least ask. There's no point in not. We are already here. The horse is tired and we need to rest up to get to Paris" he said. "Alright.. let's get going then" she said.

They put the horse near the stable so it can find its way to nap and eat if necessary. Then they strode up the dirty and grimy staircase of the main entrance of the castle. Tom knocked and listened as his knocks echoed throughout the castle and the night. The door creaks open and there was a slight whisper. "This doesn't feel right, Tom. Maybe we should-" "oh look Sabine... a nice chair" he said. She sighed and walked inside, closing the door behind her.
--------

"Hello? Is anyone here? My sincerest apologies, but my wife and I don't mean to burden you with us. We just need to uh... stay the night as we are on our way to Paris in the morning... if that is ok" he said to nothing in particular, hoping someone was listening. Murmurs arose. "Do come in, dear guests. You are welcomed. But please try and stay in this bottom floor as much as possible as to not disturb our master" said a sweet little angelic voice. Tom smiles and turned to Sabine. "I'm glad. Thank you so much" he said and took her hand. "Let's try and find a place to stay in here. It seems the servants are too shy to tend to us... but it doesn't matter" he said. She smiled.

They made it into a room that seemed to be lit only by a warm fire. Tom and Sabine loved how warm and cozy this room seemed, though the trash made it look otherwise. Things were scratched up and thrown. Wallpaper was definitely peeling. But it was ok. They thought they were safe. A small cart rolls beside to them and they looked to see who held it. Nobody. "Please, take some tea. We are glad you are here, travelers.." said the voice again. She sounded near, as if she was right in front of them. "Where might you be, dear friend?" He asked. She giggled. "Don't be impatient sir... I don't think you will see another face besides your wife's tonight. I'm truly sorry, and I wish I could show myself, but my master will not take too kindly to your arrival and will punish all of us" she said.

Sounded fair. He shrugged and took some tea. Sabine did the same. They seemed fine. Except when the room turned cold. And the door slammed open. The fire went out and the room was only lit by the hallway. The voice of the girl squeaked. "Who is here?!" A raspy growling boomed through the small room. Sabine yelped and Tom was startled. "Master! Oh please don't hurt them master! This poor couple was so tired and-" "don't you know that visitors are not allowed here!?" The man yelled. "Y-yes sorry sir I am truly sorry!" The poor girl cried.

A growling right in Toms ear made him turn to see a large beastly face in front of him and he yelled. "What is the problem? What are you looking at? Me? Are you looking at me?!" The beast roared. "No sir! I'm sorry sir! We just were looking for a place to stay and-" "I'll show you a place to stay!" The beast grabs at Tom and hoists him by the shirt, sending Sabine screaming frantically, trying to grab her husband. "Go! Go Sabine! Go! I beg of you!" Tom yelled as he was being forcefully dragged by the beast who seemed to take no interest in her.

She yelled after him but then she turned and thought about Marinette. Oh what her poor daughter would do if her parents didn't return. She ran out the main entrance, down the big staircase, and to the stables to fetch the horse. She left the wagon there and begged and urged the horse to get going with her. The beast's roars echoed throughout the night and made wolves nearby howl in delight. She rode as fast as she could with the horse back home, daring just once to look back as the main door slammed with an unwelcoming thud.