11

-
11: The Ballroom
-

A small knocking came at the door of Marinette's room. "Hello? Nathanael?" She called to it. The door opens and Marinette notices it wasn't Nathanael, but Tikki, the little teapot. "Oh! Hello" she said and lifted the teapot up to her bed.

"Hi Marinette! Chat Noir is ready for you to come. Why haven't you gotten changed yet?" She asked. "Oh, I didn't know I had to change... What do I change into?" She got off the bed and carried Tikki in her hands. "Just go to the wardrobe. This bedroom use to belong to the master's aunt, so she had a lot of dresses of high quality.. Oh! You should put on this beautiful red dress she use to wear!" She smiled.

Marinette opens the wardrobe and looks inside to see there were mostly dusty dresses. The only red dress was a long gown, and it was probably the only one that was the least bit covered with dust. "It's got sequins!" Tikki hops off of Marinette's hands and onto the small board in the dresser.

"I-I don't even know if it'll fit. It does look beautiful... Are you sure?" She looked at Tikki who was now hopping her way to the door. "Sure! The Master's aunt looked to be as petite as you, so it could fit. I am going to be waiting outside for you, so please change quickly" she said and closes the door (somehow) behind her.

Marinette manages to put on the dress, and it did fit. She was a bit saddened there was no hoop skirt in the wardrobe, but the chemise she had anyways gave the skirt just the slightest bit of volume. She opens the door to see Tikki talking to Nathaniel.

"Oh! You look gorgeous!" Tikki exclaimed. Marinette had never been called gorgeous by anyone besides her parents. It was flattering, yet embarrassing. "Indeed. Very wonderful" Nathaniel agreed. "Alright well let's head on down to the ballroom, the young master is waiting!" Tikki hops along ahead and Nathaniel and Marinette trail along.
----------------------

Marinette went down a golden staircase that entered into the ballroom. She was on the right wing of it, and Chat surprisingly entered from the left in sync with her. She beamed when she saw he had dressed up so nicely, like he had been when the two went into Paris just an hour ago. Marinette thought she was dreaming, but he did look slimmer now with the suit on.

"You dress well" she remarked when they met at the middle. He smirks, "yeah well I don't want to disappoint my only friend in forever." He held out his hand for her to take it. She did with no hesitation.

There was something between them. She didn't want to admit it. He didn't either. Their new-found friendship could hang in the balance if someone says something wrong. She certainly didn't hate him now. He was actually changing for her, and that made her feel weird.

Nobody in her life had changed for her like that. No suitor she has ever encountered, no friend had tried to care so much about her needs and wants. Until now. She had a friend in Chat Noir, and it was only getting better.

Chat felt so weird. He had never ever cared for another person like this since his mother was alive. He did love everyone passionately back then, but his father made him cold and distant, selfish and even vain. Beauty was definitely in the eye of the beholder for him. And Marinette. Here he thought she hated him because he was a beast. But no. It was just his attitude and gruffness.

He at first only changed because he felt that Marinette would grow to care for him, and he could break the spell. And now he wasn't so selfish. He changed now because he loved her. He really did.

The two finish their dance, and he escorts her to the balcony, which was covered with tattered vines and roses. "Why did you let it get so overgrown like this?" She asks. "Well... I couldn't bear to see the beauty of a rose go to waste. I let them live..." He said. Silence. He had to say it. He knew he would have regret it if he said it in Paris, but now he knew he had to say it now.

"I'm setting you free" he said. "What? Why?" She asks. "You deserve to live your life. You deserve to persue your dreams of going to Paris and starting your fashion career. You need your parents and friends and... And the world and the moon and stars and the entire universe" he said. He was heating up with embarrassment but he needed to admit it.

"C-Chat... Thank you but... I want to help you first. Please" she said. She wanted to stay? Against her own will, even after he let her free? "You are crazy, Marinette. I don't even know if you can help me..." He said. "Just tell me what happened at least" she said, grabbing his paws and rubbing them.

He gulped and took a deep breath. He couldn't hide his backstory from her anymore. She had to learn the truth for her to move on with him. "I-" "Master! Master! Something is coming!" Screamed multiple objects storming onto the balcony. Chat Noir looked down to the grounds below and squints.

Far in the distance, about two miles or so, he could see lights in the forest. "What is this, some sort of party?" He grumbled, and stood up. "Chat Noir, please don't do anything-" "everyone, let's fortify the castle in case they try to come in" he interrupts her. She grabs his arm and yanks to get his attention.

"Chat, please don't do anything stupid if they do come here. I have a feeling they are people from my village" she said. "Marinette, I promise I won't. But please, come with me."