Five

The L.A. sun beats through the hotel window the next morning. You open your eyes and feel Jake's arms around you, and remember where you are and what happened last night. You probably should have messaged Becca again, and sure enough she's lit up your phone with questions as to why you didn't come home last night.

You sigh. She can wait for a reply. You step out onto the balcony and look out at the city below. You turn your head when you hear the door open behind you, and smile at Jake coming out.

"Hey," he says, smiling back. He pushes his hair out of his face as he walks over to you and wraps his arms around you.

"Hey, you reply, melting into his embrace.

You both stare out at the city and the hills beyond the skyline. He kisses your hair and you sigh a little and touch his bare arms around you. You shiver as he runs his fingers along yours.

"You want breakfast?" He whispers in your ear. It's not a seductive sentence at all, but his rough voice in your ear still makes your knees shake.

"Okay," you smile. "But let's stay here a little longer."

"Sounds perfect to me," he whispers in your ear again.

You have to laugh at the intimacy of the both of you standing there, wrapped around each other. You're acting like he's your boyfriend when you just met last night. But the comfort is nice, when you've felt alone in this strange city for so long.

"I feel like I've gone crazy," you break the silence. "This has been the strangest 24 hours of my life."

"I hope you mean that in a good way," he laughs in your ear.

"Yes, the best way," you whisper in reply. These past hours are the freest you've felt since you moved here after high school.

"I'm starving. Let's go eat something," Jake says after a second.

"Okay."

You order room service and eat it in bed. It's so romantic and you never want it to end. You lose track of time until you realize how late it is. "Shit, I have to go to work," you realize. You get up suddenly and search for your purse.

"Sorry, I have to go," you say to Jake.

"It's okay," he answers. "But when will I see you again?"

You smooth out your hair in the mirror and pause at his question. You really want to see him again. You need to find out more about this beautiful man from Michigan who has quickly rendered himself impossible for you to forget.

"Tomorrow night. The band has a night off," you answer, and run to scribble down your number on a notepad. "Call me and let me know what time," you smile, and he smiles back.

"So old fashioned," he laughs.

"I don't like playing games," you respond.

"That's good. Neither do I," he grins.

"Really, you only prefer taking women to the beach and seducing them into going on a second date with you?" You tease.

"I guess so. That's my game," he smirks. Ugh, that smile of his, making your knees buckle.

You sigh and walk over to kiss him. "I'm
happy to play," you whisper in between kisses. "I'll see you tomorrow."
"I'll miss you," he says, then kisses you again.

You laugh. "I'll miss you too," you sigh and then walk out the door. You lean against the doorframe for a moment before moving on, thinking about tomorrow night.