Scene 1 - The Family

#There is a fifth dimension. Beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension that as vast as space – and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition. And it lies between the pit of man's fears and the sonnet of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area in which we call – the Twilight Zone.#

Some house, some relatively small house. Living in a suburban area of a town in North East Hampshire. The lounge, the lounge you live in. The lounge of any house, the same one that could easily be yours.

Rod Serling:

A house. A house somewhere in your home town. Along the dirty, misfortune suburbs. The house of our character. Here, in his early years of life. And here his two parents.

The father, David Sherlock, helps hold his little baby son, making strange little sounds like babies do. The mother, Lana, holds her boy, as she places him in her cot, wrapped in white sheets and warm pillows with toys and jiggling gold items hanging off for the boy to play with. He is placed delicately down into the cot. The parents flirt and play with the boy.

Lana:

There you go.

David:

Tiny thing.

Lana:

Yep.

They turn to each other and kiss.

David:

The most important thing on this Earth.

Lana:

Our beautiful baby. First night here.

David:

Look at his little fingers.

Lana:

I'm never going to let anything ever happen to you, Rhys. Your father and I love will always love you.

David:

When your that small, you never realise what life you are going to have. What you'll grow up to become.

Lana:

The best son this Earth has ever had.

They laugh playfully together again.

Rod Serling:

The Sherlock family. Introduction to the provider of the household, a man with his loving wife and happy to work with his local council. A contented, relaxed and caring man, yet confident and bold. Introduction to the mother, sweet and gentle, who loves her life very much. Madly in love with her husband, now returned from hospital with her second-day old son. Introduction to child, Rhys Sherlock. As his father suggested, he has no idea what you will grow up to become, or what life will throw at him.

Rod Serling appears outside the house, seeing the family through a reflection in the window. He peers through it before facing out to us, directly at the front of the house.

The time is now.  And very shortly, in only the first few years of his short, quick life he is about to experience perhaps the worst things any child could ever happen to. This is the story of a poor little kid with no help, no light at the end of the tunnel and nobody to give him a second chance. He just seems like some loser in life with nothing going for him. And later, he is about to survive through the worst guilt any man is ever going to face. Welcome, Rhys Sherlock – to the Twilight Zone...