Scene 3 - In His Room, Alone

It was the morning after the crash. Rhys, soaking the bed with his tears as he cries and cries and cries, with tears dripping from his eyes. His head is hiding down on the bed, left on his own with the door shut. A police officer is on her way up to his room. Meanwhile, down in the lounge, the two men are sat on the green sofa like two bad school children. They know what they have done, silenced in guilt. The stern, authoritative officer enters the lounge. Stocky and tall, he takes off his hat and stroking his hair from the stress.

Max:

Officer? How is the boy?

Officer Kent:

What do you think lad? You killed his parents; do you think he is going to want to speak to you? Now look, you've given us enough trouble tonight lad, so just keep quiet here and let us sort this out.

Glenn:

Is the boy alone upstairs?

Officer Kent:

Officer Crawford is upstairs talking to the poor devil. She has good experience with children thankfully.

Max:

I thought she turned traitor?

Officer Kent:

She what!

Glenn:

Oh, he has been watching too many stories. The plan you see, Max, has yet to go through yet.

Max:

Ah right. I see.

Officer Kent:

What plan now?

Glenn:

A long-standing joke, Officer.

Officer Kent:

It better be. Now, I want you to realize that that boy is going to have to live with what you did to his parents for the rest of his life. He will never forget the night I made you tell him you killed his parents, simply because you were too impatient. Do I make myself clear?

Max:

Yes sir. And I have to live with that too.

Officer Kent:

That is because of your own stupidity lad!

Max:

Yes sir.

Officer Kent:

The boy has to live with that because of your stupidity, hasn't he?

Max:

Yes sir. I'm sorry.

Officer Kent:

Don't apologize to me, lad! You can't even apologize to the boy now, can you? You can't bring them back, can you?

Glenn:

And they were just coming home from a night out together.

Officer Kent:

Yes. Well I hope now that that boy is going to grow up and I beg that he will have a happy life in spite of you. What worries me is what he is going to experience at school with some of those nasty twerps around making his life worse. God help that poor soul. God help him.