Scene 6 - The Photos

The orphanage – Rhys lives on his own in a cramped, blue little room, which is all that he has left. When you walk in there is a square spaced room with a bed on the right and a tiny, poorly designed wooden table next to it, on top, the photo of his two parents, whom he can remember very little about, stained white glass and a faulty lamp. His stuff is cluttered down along the other sides of the bed, of the very few items that he has. His bag with his dozen books inside, piles of clothes left stacked on a small stall with his shaver and can of deodorant and the empty casing of his school laptop. Currently charging, he surfs the internet and turns to the portrait of his parents. He still ponders about them. Once on his laptop, he opens Instagram to try and find Lewis Stubbs' page.

The image is a little blurry for him, now his eyesight was detreating. He places on his new glasses, which make him look sweet and intelligent. Now, he had found his page. The amount of followers appear – 3.9 K! This is followed by his attractive image, and then his latest post. Rhys is in for a shock – the images of him that very lunchtime were uploaded onto Instagram. Only these images were coloured, beards, scars, devil horns, massive red tongue sticking out. Rhys feels like vomiting! Below is the description "Look at this kid from my new school. He is such a loner and everyone hates him. He doesn't even have social media".

The likes are reaching almost as high as the number of followers. He slams down his laptop screen in such terror, scared and horrified. Rhys immediately races out of his room and into the bathroom in the same landing in the orphanage. He slumps himself on the sink, breathing heavily whilst staring at himself in the mirror, looking deeply at himself, but really looking.

Rhys then begins washing his face with the cold water running from the grotty taps. After cleaning his face with a yellow towel, he opens up the door and finds two young girls both aged seven on their phones, showing themselves the same thing. These two would grow up to become exactly like the popular girls at Scunthorpe.

Mia:

Look at this kid from my new school. He is such a loner and everyone hates him. He doesn't even have social media.

Polly:

How does he not even have social media? People without social media are so boring.

Mia:

And that weirdo lives in that very room there.

Polly:

He should have died with his parents.

Rhys:

SHUT UP! SHUT THE HELL UP! Well, what are you two standing around there for?

Mia:

You're a loner. You know that!

Rhys:

That's the first mistake he made. GET OUT!

They rush out of his way as he opens up the door. Polly stops and turns back around to him.

Polly:

We're going to tell on you!

They rush down the corridor as Rhys returns to his bedroom. With enough courage, he opens his laptop and begins scrolling through the comments on the Instagram page, horrid comments like "He looks like a complete loser", "That's the weird kid nobody likes from school", "I hope that strange guy from your new school gets himself killed". He slams down the laptop again, throwing it across the room, landing back on the case. Now, Rhys lies on his bed with his hands over his face, breathing heavily in anxiety. He doesn't know what to do now. What can he do...