Scene 4 - Lewis

Scunthorpe School, North East Hampshire, many years later. It's English, and Rhys is growing into a fine young man. Tall, introverted, confident attractive, brown spikey hair and bright blue eyes. The classroom, any type of classroom, the one you had in your old English lessons at school. By this time, Rhys is 15. Lots have changed. Friendless, he is looked down upon by everyone for his lack of social proof. The uniform for the boys of the school, simply black trousers, shoes and navy ties with white shirts. The girls, black tights, skirts, jumpers and also white shirts. Fairly standard. The clock reads 1:30 PM, located at the top of the projected board. The tables stretched out with rows of four.

Rhys sits by himself towards the back somewhere, on an entire table of his own. Just him and his thoughts. The play, everyone's favourite Romeo and Juliet. The class is run by Mrs. Quick, a fat ugly teacher for some odd reason bleached her hair blonde. The popular girls at the front, turn around to Rhys, with wicked smiles on their face, knowing exactly what the girls were thinking as they turn back around laughing. Mrs. Quick coughs as she spreads her germs, and then begins.

Mrs. Quick:

3 3, 2 2, 1! Silence! Ok, we need to get going today. We have a lot to cover in Act 5 today, ok? Right, we're going to start reading the book with the narration provided by the BBC Bitesize, alright? And at the front here we have a new person joining our class. Lewis Stubbs.

The cheeky boy smiles smugly at Quick. He is sat with the popular girls, a blonde and nasty boy. Lewis has recently joined the school and is one of the popular boys, for his high social value and his bad-boy attitude. The others had better watch out for him. As the teacher loads the video, she calls over to him.

Now Lewis, after I set the work after the read through I'll explain to you about Romeo and Juliet. I'm sure you've covered the same play.

Lewis:

Yes miss.

He looks over his shoulder and spots Rhys sat on his own in the corner. Lewis then whispers over to the girl on his left, an untrustworthy catty girl with too much make-up on.

Who's the loner at the back there?

Immy:

Some kid I couldn't care less about.

Lewis:

What's his name?

Immy:

Rhys Sherlock.

Lewis:

What do you know about him?

Immy:

That nobody cares about him or likes him. He goes to the library on his own because he has nobody else to hang out with.

The time has progressed to two. The class wake up and begin the work set after the dullest and most stupid play ever made finally ended for them. Lewis rubs his eyes as he sits up like he just woke up out of bed.

Lewis:

I can't stand this play. English is stupid. Miss, can I move over to the back?

Mrs. Quick:

Ok, Lewis.

He whispers over to the girls again.

Lewis:

I'm going to wind him up for fun.

They giggle at Lewis. As he picks up his bag, he makes his way over to the back to where Rhys greets him. The girls watch carefully whilst Lewis puts on his act.

Rhys:

Hello?

Lewis:

Hey buddy! How's it going, Rhys?

Rhys:

Fine?

Lewis:

You're lonely buddy, do you want friends?

The girls giggle.

Rhys:

I'm ok Lewis.

Lewis:

You know, the girls were being mean to you over there. They said that they couldn't care less about you.

Rhys:

Sure. Why would I care about them then?

Lewis:

That's not very nice, is it?

The girls laugh. Rhys knows exactly what is going on.

Rhys:

Look, what do you want off me?

Lewis:

Ooh, tough aren't ya'. The girls were gossiping about you to me earlier, saying you have no social media. Why?

Rhys:

Doesn't concern you.

Lewis:

Excuse me, I think I asked you a question. Or shall I go tell miss.

Rhys:

I don't need it. I don't need social media. I'm perfectly happy on my own.

Lewis:

Yeah, but you'll be missing out. Then they can chat all nasty stuff about you. And you won't know anything about it.

Rhys:

Why would I care?

Lewis:

Rhys. Why do you have elf ears?

Rhys:

What?

The girls laugh again. Lewis then pulls his ears up, like his.

Lewis:

Sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear you!

Rhys:

Just get the hell over there. You'd rather be over there gossiping about me with the girls.

Lewis:

Alright buddy. You Elf!

He stands and hits him around the back of his head, returning back to his seat. Rhys frowns at him. The trouble had only begun...