16. Regretful thinking.

This chapter is dedicated to @swrites123 enjoy!

********

"Why does my head feel like it's been through hell and back?" I groaned, holding it delicately.

"Young lady, you have a lot of explaining to do," Mom said, holding a cup of water and two pills that I took from her.

"What happened?"

"Well, you got drunk, and thankfully Mr. Slovac's son brought you home."

"He did!" I cringed in pain, looking discreetly at Mom as she did the same.

"Yes, and fortunately for you, you're grounded for a week."

"What? That's absurd! I'm almost eighteen."

"Exactly, you're not eighteen, and you're lucky I was able to talk your father out of giving you a month instead."

I groaned, slipping back into bed. "This is the second time you've gotten into trouble, and I know that you're almost an adult, but I hope that's not the life you're planning on living," she said.

"No, Mom, never. I don't even remember consuming alcohol at that party," I recalled from what happened last night.

"Hun, your drink could've been spiked at any given moment, and as for Steff, I'm very disappointed in him." She took my cup and stood. "It's 12:20pm in the evening, rise and shine, sleepyhead. Someone's outside to see you."

"Hi," the intruder said, walking through my door.

"Thanks to you, I'm now grounded for a whole week!" I cringed again in pain, flipping myself to the other end of the bed.

"I'm really sorry, please forgive me," he pleaded, lifting me off the bed and hugging me tightly. "I'm sorry, I-I should've said no," he cried.

My heart clenched at the thought of Steff crying. In all my years, this was the first time he'd ever cried, and I hated the fact that part of it was all my fault. Tears brimmed in my eyes as I fought the urge to let them swell.

"Steff, none of this is your fault, and I'm perfectly fine," I laughed, trying to lighten the mood.

"You don't understand, Anna. I did something very grave yesterday," he cried.

"What? I'm sure it wasn't that bad. You're incapable of harming even a fly," I laughed.

"Just promise me you won't ever hate me?" he begged, and I sighed.

"What did you do?"

"You promise?" he asked, wiping away his teary eyes with a look of hope. How could I ever hate my other half that has never left my side, the other half I depend solely on.

"I promise. Now, will you please get on with it?"

"Good, now I-"

"Holy mother of Jesus, what the fuck happened to you?!" I screamed, assessing his swollen black and blue eye that I now took notice of.

He laughed, flinching as he felt the pain. "I was playing when I fell and hit a ball."

"What kind of ball leaves fingerprints?!" I replied, rolling my eyes. "Steff, who did this to you?"

"Fine, my cousin and I were having an argument when he attacked me," he shrugged as if it was nothing.

"Doesn't your cousin know about civilized conversation?" I said. "He'll pay for it!"

"Woah, easy there, tiger. I'm sure you wouldn't want to do that, and if it makes you feel any better, I deserved it."

"No one deserves something this horrendous."