14. Calming the beast within.

I watched in the clear distance as recognition dawned upon Kristen's handsome face, his usually composed expression contorting into a mask of anger and disbelief. It was as if a storm had brewed within him, and I was caught in its path. My heart raced, anxiety flooding my veins, as his piercing gaze shifted between Sebastian and me.

The once vibrant and lively atmosphere of the game came to a sudden halt, as whispers rippled through the crowd. All eyes were on us, the tension palpable in the air. I could feel the weight of their gazes, the curiosity and speculation intensifying with each passing moment.

Why was he looking at me with such fury? What had I done to deserve this onslaught of anger from the person I once thought cared about me?

Kristen remained rooted to his spot, defying the desperate attempts of his teammates to coax him back into the game. It was as if the world around him ceased to exist, his focus solely fixated on me. The gravity of his stare sent shivers down my spine, a mix of fear and confusion intertwining within me.

I tried to make sense of the situation, my mind racing to find an explanation for his rage. Was it the sight of me wearing another jersey, a symbol of betrayal in his eyes? Or was there something else, something deeper that fueled this fiery display of emotions?

As the game came to a standstill, the silence grew deafening. All eyes were on Kristen, waiting for his next move, his next outburst. The anticipation hung heavy in the air, like a tautly pulled string ready to snap.

"Anna, I think now would be a good time to take off that jacket of yours," Maria's voice broke through my thoughts, her words a gentle reminder that I needed to act.

But I found myself frozen in place, my body unwilling to respond to the urgency of the situation. I feared the scrutiny of the crowd, their judgment and whispers piercing through my vulnerable state. The weight of their collective gaze threatened to suffocate me.

Kristen's gaze shifted momentarily, engaging in a brief conversation with Kyle, before returning to pierce through me once again. It was in that moment that I realized the source of his anger, his intense focus on my attire. The realization sent a wave of embarrassment and shame crashing over me.

The first movement he made sent shockwaves through the crowd, gasps escaping their lips like a chorus of disbelief. It felt as if time had slowed down, capturing every nuance of his approach. Kristen began to move, his strides purposeful, his eyes locked onto me with unyielding determination.

Regina's voice echoed through the air, calling out Kristen's name in a desperate plea for his attention. But he paid no heed, his sole focus fixated on me, an intensity radiating from him that was both thrilling and terrifying.

The piercing sound of the whistle marked the resumption of the game, but its significance seemed trivial compared to the storm brewing between Kristen and me. The players returned to their positions, the crowd tried to regain their enthusiasm, but all I could hear was the thunderous pounding of my own heart.

With each step he took, Kristen closed the distance between us, his anger etched upon his face. The world seemed to blur around me, the gaze of onlookers melting away until it was only him and me, caught in an agonizingly tense moment.

"H... hey, let me go!" I whispered, my voice trembling with a mix of anxiety and frustration, as he effortlessly hoisted me over his shoulder.

My pleas fell on deaf ears, ignored amidst the chaos of the crowd. I cowered, burying my face within the confines of his sweaty jersey, desperate to shield myself from the crowd.

I peeked out to see Maria with a cold, emotionless stare, observing us, while Steff wore a smug grin. I can't believe this. What happened to "I'll always be there to protect you"? He will pay for this!