15. Unwanted attentions.

"Will you finally reveal the truth, or will you persist in fabricating yet another lie?" I could sense the frustration in her voice as she confronted me, her words laced with a mix of anger and betrayal.

With a composed expression on my face, I retorted, "Nothing significant has occurred." But internally, a whirlwind of emotions danced within me, exhilaration coursing through my veins at the mere mention of Kristen's name. Fortunately, the darkness inside the car provided a shelter for my flushed cheeks, concealing the excitement that threatened to reveal itself.

"I have always been open and honest with you, Anna. Meanwhile, all you've done is deceive me," she exclaimed, her voice brimming with disappointment.

I defended myself, my voice steady, "I have never lied to you, not once."

"Oh, really? Well, thank you for enlightening me with the fact that you're nothing but a deceitful liar!"

"Fine, then! Kristen confided in me about his feelings for me. Are you satisfied now?" I blurted out, bewildered by her reaction.

She scowled, her anger palpable. "And all this time, you insisted on keeping a low profile. Doesn't that contradict your supposed intentions?"

"I warned you that things would become complicated if he discovered you wearing that jersey," Steff interjected, a smirk forming on his face.

"Well, so much for protecting me," I retorted, mocking him.

"I did caution you," he replied matter-of-factly.

"Unbelievable," Maria muttered quietly under her breath, clearly unimpressed.

We were en route to the after-party, but unfortunately, our team hadn't emerged victorious. After Kristen had stormed off the field, his coach had suspended him for a match, hoping to teach him a lesson in following instructions, though I doubted it would have any lasting impact.

We had come so close to winning the game, losing by a mere point. Nevertheless, it showcased our potential to secure the state championship if we put in a little more effort.

Regina had informed the entire school via a group chat that the party would still proceed, now serving as a welcoming celebration for the newest member of the football team.

We hurriedly returned home, where I swapped my attire for a red off-the-shoulder dress that elegantly fell just below my knee, and soon we found ourselves on our way to Regina's house.

"Behold, we have arrived," Steff announced, our eyes fixed on the scene outside the car window.

"Wow," Maria and I chimed in unison.

Regina's house resembled something fit for an Egyptian princess, which came as no surprise considering she held the coveted position of the queen bee in our social hierarchy. Undoubtedly, she saw herself as an American princess of sorts.

If it weren't for Maria and Steffon's insistence, I would never have attended a party of this nature. However, the prospect of seeing Kristen again filled me with a mix of unease and excitement.

"No, but her parents are incredibly wealthy, which is why she takes pleasure in belittling others," Steff corrected, swiftly adding, "Although her parents are devoutly religious, I highly doubt they are aware of her extensive promiscuity."

"I must admit, I had assumed they were just a bunch of snobbish wealthy individuals, much like their daughter," I remarked as our vehicle came to a halt.

As we approached the grand mansion, cars were scattered across the premises, and the pulsating music reverberated through the roof.

"I... I think I may have left something at home," I uttered hurriedly, attempting to pull the door handle, only to discover it unexpectedly locked.