ii - leaves

chilly fall air rushed past the four boys as they biked to mike's house. The leaves of the vast amount of trees were turning many shades of reds, yellows, oranges, and browns, mixed in with the small amount of green ones left. Will loved fall. he loved the colors. He loved drawing the pretty leaves that swirled in circles like mini tornadoes when they fell off the trees, especially the bright and vibrant red ones. Will didn't know what drew him to that particular color of fall leaf, but he loved it. 

        "Will?" Will snapped out of his thoughts. He didn't even know said his name. probably Mike or Lucas. 

        "Yeah?" Will replied, looking up at the others. He was a bit behind the others, so he knew to catch up. 

         "Are you alright? You seem a bit out of it," Mike mused, glaring back at Will his deep chocolate eyes. Will could feel his throat tighten as he looked at Mike a little to long. 

         "Oh, yeah, just, uh, thinking," Will assured, looking down at the front wheel of his bike, watching the road blur underneath it. His face felt hot, almost like he was embarrassed. Dustin snickered not so subtly, Lucas shooting him a nasty glare. 

         "And what was so important that you had to completely zone out?" Dustin jeered. Will went completely red, kinda like the trees they were passing. Lucas rolled his eyes, tempted to nudge Dustin in the ribs, but they were on there bikes.

         "Nothing," Will faltered.

They all sat around a square wooden table in Mike's basement, all in a different types of chair. Will, for some reason, always got the lowest chair, which kinda sucked since he was already the shortest. 

        "I saw a REALLY hot girl in math today. I can't believe I haven't noticed her before," Dustin publicized, interrupting the awkward silence between them. Lucas snorted.

        "Like any girl would want to hang out with you. You'd scare them off as soon as you spoke to them." Lucas provoked. Dustin went red and crossed his arms. 

        "Speak for yourself. This girl was different," Dustin asserted. Lucas raised an eyebrow. 

       "You talked to this girl?" Lucas sneered, one eyebrow still raised. 

      "Well, no, but-" Lucas burst out laughing while Will and Mike sat awkwardly, Will tapping his fingers against the side of his chair. He looked at Mike, who just shrugged. "I just know, ok Lucas!"

      "Uh huh, yeah, totally," Lucas snorted, wiping his watering eyes. Dustin sighed and mumbled to himself. Lucas looked over to Mike and looked him straight in the eyes. "Any girls that got your eye?" Lucas asked him, half joking, but with a hint of seriousness. For some odd reason, this caused Will's heartbeat to skyrocket and blood to rush to his face. "You have a better chance then any of us, you know." Mike blushed, his mouth suddenly dry.

      "No. I don't really find any of the girls in any of our classes interesting," Mike explained. Will's uneven heart rate calming. Lucas scoffed. 

      "There must be at least one girl you think is cute," Lucas implied. Mike glared at Will, their eyes connecting awkwardly for a second before he looked away. 

      "No, not really, no," Mike said tightly, rocking in his chair. He couldn't ignore the fact of how uncomfortable Will looked. 

       "Hey, uh, can I get glass of water?" Will mumbled softly, rubbing his lower arm shyly. He knew Lucas would want to interrogate him, and for some reason the thought of a girlfriend and liking a girl in general made him uncomfortable.

        "Yeah sure. I'll come with you," Mike offered, getting up from his seat and walking Will with will upstairs and into the kitchen, pulling a glass down from the cupboard. Will probably wouldn't be able to reach a cup anyway. Mike handed it to will, who filled it with water from the tap and sipped it. "You've been acting off, are you ok?" 

       "yeah. Yeah i'm fine, Mike" Will sighed, looking down into his glass. Mike looked around then back at Will, and put a hand onto his upper arm. Will tensed, his face washing with red.

"You can tell me anything, Will," Mike pleaded, looking into Will's heavenly hazel eyes. He looked scared in a way.

"I'm fine. Really."