iii - liar

"Ok, ok. Will and Mike are being weird," Lucas said flatly, putting his elbows on the table and leaning into his hands. Dustin looked over at him. 

      "No duh," Dustin hissed. "Something's up. I know it. Mike is never quiet unless he's upset, and Will usually isn't that quiet. Do you think that they're well,  you know..." Dustin looked around and up at the stairs and leaned in a bit closer. "gay?" Lucas rolled is eyes. 

      "No! Of course not! Er, I mean, Mike definitely isn't, and Will just hasn't had a girlfriend yet," Lucas tried to explain. 

      "I don't think Will likes girls, Lucas,"Dustin reasoned, shrugging his shoulders. 

     "No, he just hasn't had a girlfriend yet. We should help him!" Lucas exclaimed. Dustin rolled his eyes to the back of his head and shook his head.

     "If Will wants a girlfriend he can get one himself," Dustin finished.

Will continued to look into his cup, while mike stood in front of him. Will only went up to Mike's neck. 

        "Please, Will," Mike pleaded softly. "I know something's up. You're my best friend." Will looked up at Mike, sighed, and put his glass down on the counter. 

        "I told you Mike. I'm fine. Really!" Will said aggressively. "please just stop asking..." He finished in a mumble, looking down at his old and worn shoes. Mike smiled softly and pulled Will into a loose hug, Will's heartbeat going through the roof once again, his legs feeling like lead as he let Mike hold him in his warm arms. "Thank you," He said weakly, holding his hands on Mike's chest. His heart was beating just as fast as his, which for some reason a comfort to Will. Mike has always been a comfort. Mike was like his home, and even if he did baby Will a lot, he was always there for him, even if Will didn't want to talk.

It was getting late, and Dustin already had to go home, so it was just Will, Mike, and Lucas. Will could feel Lucas's occasional glare burn through the back of his head, even though they were all peacefully reading comics they have gotten. 

       "I'm gonna head home," Lucas announced, heading up the stairs, looking back at them then smiling. "See you tomorrow ladies." he finished off smirking, then closing the basement door. Mike chuckled and gave a quick 'bye.' 

       "You gonna talk to me now?" Mike laughed, stretching then wrapping an arm around Will's shoulder. Will was like his mom; tense, anxious, and always nervous, but Will didn't need to get home until 10, or when his mom was done at work. 

        "I did, Mike," Will claimed, but Mike could see through his blatant lies. He was his best friend.  The word felt weird in his mouth, Mike just didn't know why. Mike could also see that Will was clearly tired, curled up in a quilt that was originally hung over the couch. 

         "Can I come over to your house tonight?" Mike blurted out, Looking into Will's wide eyes. Will's eyebrows raised upward slightly. He opened his mouth slightly as if to speak, then gave a small smile. 

         "uh, well, i mean, if your parents let you," Will stammered, kneading his hands and looking down at his lap, his face flushed. 

           "Yeah. Yeah,  they'd let me," Mike persuaded, his hand on Will's elbow. Will felt his stomach flip. Was this normal? 

            "Well  then what are you waiting for? I'm tired," Will giggled. Mike ignored the fact that it was only 9:42 at night, and no teenager should ever get tired at that time.