XX. EMPIRES ON FIRE

―♡―
𝐖𝐀𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒
[ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ - 𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘯 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦]

―♡― 𝐖𝐀𝐑 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒[ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ - 𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘯 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦]

'now we're choking on the fumes,
spread the lie and kill the truth'

♥♕♥♕♥

One month didn't sound like that long of a time to Thea, until that is, she realised it had been 30 days, 727 hours, 43,200 minutes and 2,592,000 seconds since she'd last seen her best friend. The very thought of it had her scrambling to hold on to the wall so she didn't drown in a tsunami of sadness and guilt. Of course, she and Rebekah had facetimed frequently since the blonde had left New Orleans for the original didn't trust that the wolf could keep herself out of trouble.

But truthfully, there hadn't been much trouble in New Orleans for Thea to get herself stuck in. The past month had been quiet, almost too quiet some might argue, and although Thea felt the sadness of missing her closest friend daily- she had found a new sense of freedom now that Klaus wasn't keeping her locked up in the compound anymore.

In fact, Klaus didn't really care much what she did these days. Since the night he'd forced Rebekah out of town and the two soulmates had confessed their love for each other, the hybrid had taken it upon himself to shut himself out of everything. He had pretty much tossed his crown to Elijah, handing him the keys to the kingdom he so desperately fought for at the beginning and ignored every advancement Thea made to try and talk.

It wasn't that the hybrid regretted admitting that he was still in love with her- because it was the honest truth. But after running Rebekah out of town, it seemed the original couldn't face his soulmate out of pure guilt and self-loathing. After all, Rebekah was Thea's best friend and he'd taken her away from her - causing her more suffering than he had ever truly wanted to and he hated himself for it.

He thought that she hated him, and so he removed himself from the picture so that she too couldn't break his heart. But what he didn't know was that he was slowly breaking hers the longer he kept himself shut away with his paintings and his whiskey. However, the wolf didn't fret on it for too long. She tried all she could to coax him out of his emotionless state but after her attempts remained futile, she moved on to enjoying her life, free of the fear of looking over her shoulder for danger.

For the past month, Thea had spent the majority of the time with Davina and Cami as the two women helped the newly returned witch to cope with everything she had been through with the ancestors. To say the wolf was ecstatic when she found out Davina had returned to the world of the living was an understatement- in fact, Cami practically had to tear the Lockwood teen away from the young witch when she first saw her in fear that she'd send Davina back under from lack of oxygen.

The wolf found that spending time with Davina and Cami was a nice distraction from the fact that Klaus was refusing to speak with her and her best friend had just been forced out of town. The two brunettes often both moped together about their hard lives as Cami teased them constantly about it. It was a nice balance of friendship that Thea found herself thankful for this past month.