Chapter 2 - The builders

“Time to get up Greenie” I was shoved awake by Alby once again. “Come on Gally doesn’t like waiting.” I shook off the tiredness, excited for my first day. I made my way over to the kitchens without Alby’s help and got myself something to eat. Newt and Sig were already far gone into the depths of the maze so I sat by myself.  Soon Alby came back to walk with me to the builders. 

“Here she is Gally.” Alby announced before giving me and walking back to whatever Alby does during the day. Gally was a tall, muscular guy. I hoped Sig was wrong and he wouldn’t hate me because he was not someone you’d want on your bad side.

 “I’m Clarissa.” I said trying to hide my nervousness.

 “Alright Greenie.” He ignored the fact that he knew my name “Being a builder is self explanatory and easily the most important job.” I looked to see if he was smiling, but he was dead serious. “We build new buildings, fix up the old ones. We’re the only ones that get klunk done around here.”

 “What about the cooks that make everyone meals three times a day?” I said immediately regretting it.  

 “Don’t worry you’ll probably be put with your precious, that’s all women are for right?” He glared at me. It looked like he hated me with every fiber of his body. I glared back at him, I can’t believe he just said that.

 “Let’s just get this day over with.” I muttered. Using every bit of control I had not to hit him.  Gally sent me away to work on fixing one of the buildings with some other builders nearby.

 “You have a death wish.” Ben laughed “You have seen how big Gally is right?”

 “He can’t hurt me.” I shrugged, not phased by Gally’s dislike of me “Rule number two, never hurt another glader.” Ben shook his head and laughed

 “You’re funny greenie.” I went back to badly hammering. I really was not cut out for being a builder, which I’m sure Gally is happy about.  After Ben and the others had enough of me hitting my self accidentally they took me to the room where they made all the blueprints for the buildings.

 “I’m sorry for taking you guys away from your work.” I said

 “Don’t worry about it, the others will be fine on their own.” The other builder, James, said.

 “Besides you’re actually doing us a solid greenie, you’re giving us a break..” Ben said.

 “Why does everyone call me Greenie?” I asked. Well except Newt. “I’m sure they all know my name.”

 “Someone’s popular.” Ben laughed, causing me to give him an eyeroll.

 “We call everyone greenie, until there’s a new glader. Just wait a month and then you’ll be Clarissa.” James explained.

Okay." Ben said "It's kind of obvious you're not going to be a builder so do you wanna just pretend to be working?"

"But wouldn't that be breaking the first rule?" I smirked at him.

"Not if nobody finds out." He winked.

"Shall we start after lunch?" James suggested. We all nodded our heads and took our lunch break, smirks upon our faces. We grabbed our lunches from the cooks and then found a place to sit.