Chapter 4 - The runners

Finally it was the day I had been awaiting for over a week. Today I would spend all day with Newt, trying out to be a runner. Since we wouldn't be going into the maze today, I just had to wake up at the regular time. I met Newt down at breakfast and we ate together. Today is off to a great start.

"This is my favourite day of the whole bloody month." He said between bites.

"And why is that?" I laughed.

"I don't have to wake up so shukin early." He stated firmly. I covered my mouth to prevent milk from flying out of it. I laughed for a minute before composing myself.

"Of course that would be your reason." I rolled my eyes at him.

"If you keep rolling your eyes all the buggin time, they're gonna roll straight outta your pretty littlle head." He said. I tried to stop the heat from rising to my face, he had called me pretty.

"Then maybe you shanks should stop saying dumb things all the time." It was his turn to burst out laughing.

"It's so funny hearing you say glader terms!" He was still laughing at me.

"Slim it you bloody slinthead." I did my best impression of Newt's accent.

"Think you're funny do ya?" I could tell he was trying not to laugh.

"I know I'm funny." I cross my arms over my chest.

"Well you know what I think you are?"

"What?" I narrowed my eyes.

"I think-" He never got to finish what he was going to say.

"Newt!" Alby called from the breakfast line "Stop flirting with the greenie and get to work!" Alby grinned slyly at his friend, something he rarely did.

"You're just jealous." Newt called back as he stood up, grabbing his tray. Did Newt just say he was flirting with me? Were we flirting? He probably just said that as a joke, but I'll take it.

"Clara you coming?" He called from where he was standing with Alby. I nodded my head and stood up, tray in hand. I walked to the dirty plate bin before making my way over to Alby and Newt.

"You two have fun." Alby grinned as I arrived before walking to get his food.

"Alby likes you, which is rare for a greenie." Newt stated as we walked to... wherever we were going.

"Oh yeah forsure." I said sarcastically "After all the trouble i've caused I'm sure he loves me." Newt put his hands up.

"I swear he does. I don't know why, its not like you're extremely pretty or funny or anything. Like you're basically the most unlikeable person ever." He smirked. I ignored his compliments and played along.

"Well obviously, that's why me and Gally are bestfriends. We're practically the same person."  Newt laughed and shook his head in response before using his hand to push his dirty blonde hair out of his face.

"Okay so here we are." He said gesturing to our surroundings. We were away from the homestead in a clear field of grass near one of the walls of the maze. The smile that seemed to be always on his face was gone and was replaced with a serious pout. To be honest I didn't know which one I liked more.

"Okay Greenie, you're going to run three laps around the edge of the glade and I'm going to time you. Try to pace yourself, but don't go too slow." He held up his arm and looked down at his watch. He waited a couple seconds and let me get ready.

"Three... Two... One. Start!" I did as I was told.

That was the first time Newt has called be Greenie the whole time I've been here. I liked that he took his job so seriously, it was kinda hot. As my mind went to the gutter, deep, deep into the gutter I hadn't even realized that I had already done three laps until I heard Newt's voice.