Chapter 6 - Whatever That Just Was

When I woke up Newt was still beside me, fast asleep. 

"Newt." The sound of my voice pierced my eardrums. too loud "Newt wake up." My throat was dry and I could barely speak but the thought of anything going into my stomach made me feel sick. This must be what a hangover feels like. I wonder if I ever felt like this before the maze?

"Yeah?" Newt mumbled with his eyes still closed.

"Shouldn't you be in the maze already?" 

His eyes shot open but he remained lying down. He lifted his arm and checked his watch, something I noticed only the runners and Alby had.

"It's almost ten." He furrowed his eyebrows "They should've woken us up by now."

I shrugged, not really knowing what to say. All I could think about was the pounding in my head. Newt got up and stretched.

"Ready for the walk of shame?"

"But we didn't do anything..." I scrunched my nose, did we?

"I know." He laughed "But those bloody shanks are gonna assume. You were pretty gone last night. Do you remember anything?"

"I remember talking to Gally. That's all" I lied. I didn't want him to know that I was slightly myself when I was talking about how hot he was.

"Oh yeah I saw you guys. " he said as we walked down the stars "What were you guys talking about anyways."

"I don't know we just kept apologizing to eachother." I shrugged "And I think we're okay now."

He looked at me with his nose slightly scrunched up. If I could focus on anything but my pounding head I would probably find his facial expression cute "Weird." He said.

By now we were halfway to the eating area and I had just started noticing the stares and smirks we were getting. Newt must've noticed too because he glanced at me and we rolled our eyes together. Gally was one of the boys looking at us. Our eyes met and I gave him a small smile, which he returned. I'm happy me and Gally are on good terms now. I don't know if we'll become the best of friends but atleast he doesn't want me gone anymore.

"There you two shanks are!" Alby's voice interrupted me from my thoughts. He walked towards us smirking.

"Me and Minho were gonna wake you up but you two looked so peaceful sleepin in eachother's arms." Alby was in an Uncharacteristically good mood today. To be honest I think I might like his regular closed off self better, at least he didn't make fun of me as much then.

"Greenie. Brought ya some pills. It'll help with your head." He shot me a knowing smirk. He opened his hand and produced two green pills. He didn't give me any water so I swallowed them dry. It was uncomfortable but if it made this stupid headache go away I would take it. 

"Should I go into the maze?" Newt asked his superior.

Alby shook his head. "I wanna talk to you actually. Greenie, you can get to work though. Already late on your first day."

"Wow okay, guess you guys got tired of me already." I said sarcastically "See you guys later." I flashed them a smile before turning to walk in the direction of the Med-jacks. When I arrived Harry informed me that we didn't really have anything to do. There were just a couple of sick gladers from drinking too much last night. The other Med-jacks were quiet so I had lots of time to think.

I would have expected that I thought about Newt while I waited, that seems to be all I think about now recently but I didn't. I thought about how when I walked into work this morning I really didn't care that I was late. I have no idea who I am, I learn more and more things about myself everyday and that makes me unsettled. All I know is that I do things without thinking, I don't listen to authority and I'll do anything to help somebody. I furrow my eyebrows in anger and frustration. Why did they have to take all my memories? They left me in a strange place with nothing but my name. I had no idea who I was or who my family is. What did I do that was so bad to get sent here? That question often pops into my head but I always push it away. But today, right now It kept coming back. Making my already prominent headache even worse. I had to do something, I had to keep myself busy or I would slowly go crazy. I shot up, startling Harry and Charlie next to me.