Chapter 5 - The decision

When I woke up Newt was no longer beside me but already deep into the maze. I had nothing to do today since I didn't have an official job yet and everyone else was busy doing their jobs. I thought about taking a shower before going to breakfast. Half to waste time and half because I never got to have one after yesterday's workout. I decided to do it. Usually I would want Newt or Sig to watch the door but I figured all the gladers were busy at work so I would have a quick one. I made my way to the showers and slipped in without anyone noticing, hopefully. I made my way over to the one furthest from the door. I pulled back the curtain and started the water. I undressed while I waited for it to heat up. I hung my clothes and a towel up on the hooks before stepping under the hot water and closing the curtain. I took the bar of soap and lathered my body with it. I stopped in my tracks when I heard voices.

"She's so hot, it'll be worth it." A boys voice said. My eyes went wide. What was I going to do? Hit them with a bar of soap?

"Just be quiet." Another boys voice warned. I heard the door slam open. How many boys were going to come in here?

"I knew you two slinthead's would come in here after we saw Clarissa go in." Is that who I thought it was?

"Get the shuck outta here before I tell Alby what you shucks were doing instead of working." The voice warned.

"S-sorry Gally." The boys stuttered. I knew it! But why would Gally help me? I thought he hated me. I heard footsteps pad away anf finally the door slam closed. I released a breath that I didn't know I was holding. I quickly washed my hair before stepping out of the shower and throwing my clothes on, not bothering to dry myself. Now that I was now fully clothed I was more comfortable being here. I wrapped the towel around my hair to speed up the drying time. Since my hair was so long it would take atleast an hour to dry so I gave up and threw the towel into the used bin before leaving the building. I walked out to see Gally standing outside. He must be guarding the showers for me.

"Th-" I tried to talk to him but he just glared at me and walked away. What is with him? I shrugged and walked to the breakfast line. Since it was later in the morning the line wasn't that long, only a couple gladers in it. Despite breakfast being mostly over the cooks were all running around the kitchen frantically.

"Why so busy?" I ask Frypan while I grab my food.

"We're getting ready for your bonfire tonight." He explained. I forgot about that, I was really excited but also nervous for what job I'll be welcomed to.

"Oh right." I smiled at him "I've heard good things about a certain drink you make." He smirked and winked at me. I smiled back before grabbing my tray and walking to a table. I ate my breakfast silently, thinking about how tonight will go. I would make a good Med-jack and the guys there were nice, but there's so much waiting around and I don't know if I could do it everyday for possibly the rest of my life. The runner's job is exciting and dangerous. It would be different everyday and I know I wouldn't get bored. Those were the only two I jobs I was really considering. I hoped the keepers were considering those jobs too. Newt explained to me a couple nights ago that the decision will be made much like the trial I was apart of. Which I kinda liked but was kinda afraid for. I would learn what every keeper thought of me, whether they liked me or not. I sat with my thoughts for longer than I had thought since I started noticing gladers coming up for lunch. I felt like I had just ate so I got up and left. I actually had no idea what to do. Then I saw Alby and decided I would bother him for a bit. I waved to Ben as I walked past him building something.

"Hey Alby." I grinned. He spun around and narrowed his eyes suspiciously at me.

"What do you want Greenie?"

"Nothin." I shrugged "Just decided that I wanted to know what you did all day."

"Don't worry about it." He seemed unsure about weather to tell me or not.