Chapter 11 (part 2)

Nicholas and Zoey raced down the path. They stopped running when the path opened up to a clearing with a small lake, "Firefly cove," Zoey breathed. They heard pounding footsteps coming up behind them, they turned to see Dracula and Ericka running at them. They skidded to a stop and started to catch their breath.

"What's the rush?" Nicholas asked.

"WHAT'S THE RUSH?!?!" Ericka yelled at the top of her lungs, standing up straight, "YOUR THE ONE WHO RAN AHEAD!!"

"BECAUSE I WANT TO FIND THE STONE BEFORE SURGE DOES!!" Nicholas yelled back, they all went silent. Well...the whole forest went silent, the owls, the crickets, the frogs, the stars even seemed to stop twinkling. Like the whole forest was holding its breath. A loud CLANK could be heard from the forest. They turned to look at the path, two oddly spaced yellow eyes were staring back at them, The clanking continued. the thing seemed to be walking, it broke out into a brisk running pace. When it got close enough, they saw that the eyes weren't eyes at all. There were two lights on a giant robot! "Duck!" Nicholas said, and they all dove into the bushes lining the road.

This is what the robot looks like:

You could feel the earth shake with every step. The robot stopped and the tinted glass lifted up, a young man jumped out, climbed down the robot and over to the pond. He pulled out a piece of paper and read off of it.

Tumbleleaf,

considerate and kind,

i need your insight, come forth

and grant me the wisdom of your kind!

Tumbleleaf appeared out of the forest and walked over to the man, he looked down at the man."In exchange for the stone..bring me the Bruxtite." The tree grumbled.

"Bruxtite?" The man echoed.

"Yes, and do it before evening tomorrow." Tumbleleaf explained.

"Anything for the stone." The man said, running back to his mech, climbing up it and jumping in the cockpit. The glass closed and the robot roared to life. It turned around and stiffly ran down the path. "Bruxtite?" Zoey said, stepping out of the bush. She helped everyone else out of the bushes,

"Maybe it's just a fancy name for a plant," Ericka said, brushing leaves off her arms.

"Or a rock," Drac added.

"Best get looking," Zoey said. They searched the area for about 20 minutes, and found nothing. They were all sitting down, hopeless on what to do next, all except Ericka. She had found herself back with the withered rose on the ground. She touched the stem with a finger, color splashed back on to the part of the stem that she had touched. She pulled back with surprise, but picked the rose up. She lightly tapped one of the pedals, it sprang to life with a vibrant purple. It slowly uncrumpled and it was completely alive again.

"Weird," she mumbled.she kept walking until she found where she had plucked the rose she climbed the boulder and sat on her knees. The flower that she didn't pick looked like it was dying. She also saw two small budding roses had sprouted near the base of the small rose. She put the rose that she had picked next to the other roses. It used its leaves to level itself out and 'look' at the dying rose. The strong rose reached a leaf out to touch the dying rose. They stayed like that, then the dying flower lost its color and flopped over, dead. The tall rose hopped over to the buds and wrapped it's leaves around them and held them close. "You're a family," Ericka said,

"And that was the buds mother." She bowed her head. A loud CRACK rang out, the boulder was splitting apart! She shot off of the boulder and to the other side of the clearing. The boulder split like a lemon. When the dust cleared, small crystals could be seen in the rock. She picked out one and peered at it. A huge smile spread over her face, "Bruxtite." She said excitedly, and she ran off to find the group. When they were in sight, she yelled, "I FOUND THE BRUXTITE!!"

"That's great!" Zoey said happily. They all stood up and went to go back to Tumbleleaf, not knowing that the man was watching them from afar...