Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A week had passed since that fateful night and Jon was coming home today.

Hannah waited in his living room, right, she had a key to his apartment now, and watched the door. When it finally unlocked and Jon strolled in he grinned from ear to ear. Until he saw her face.

"I just came home, what did I do?"

"Sign these. These are the papers to annul the marriage. The one you said couldn't be annulled."

Jon walked over and picked the papers up, skimming them. "Well, that is new to me."

Hannah sighed. "No it isn't. You were playing me for whatever dumb reason. Sign these papers Jon."

He looked at her now all serious. "Nope." He told her, put the papers back on the table and carried his suitcase in his bedroom.

"What do you mean Nope? I don't want to be married to you, it was a stupid drunk decision. I barely know you and frankly the main reason is, Hannah Good sounds like a porn star."

Jon turned around wide eyed and grinning. "My God, you are right! How awesome is that?" he asked all excited and Hannah closed her eyes. "Jon, please act your age for once and sign these papers. I may be naïve and gullible, but enough is enough. You had your fun. Please."

"But what if I tell you in all seriousness that I want to give this a try?"

"Then I tell you, that I never pictured my husband to be travelling 300 days a year. I like him back for dinner. You are a good guy Jon, we have fun…sometimes….but as you pointed out before, you are no husband material. This would never work and I don't want to get my heart broken."

"Didn't you come here to try something new?" "Yes, and I was under my mother's thumb long enough. I don't need a husband to put me under his thumb right now."

"I wouldn't do that!" Jon protested. "Yes you would because you have a demanding job and I would have to adjust my life to meet your timetable. I will not do that."

"Come on Hannah, a try? Just one little try?" "No, please sign the papers." "Okay, leave them on the table. I have an errand to run, I will sign them when I get back, okay?"

"Okay. Come over when you are done."

With that Hannah left.

Jon went into town, needing some space. He really didn't want this annulment. He liked the thought of being married. Especially to Hannah. She had grown on him in the past couple of month. But maybe Colby was right and this went too far. He couldn't force someone to be with him.

So when he returned he picked up the papers, unsigned, and walked over.

Hannah opened the door and he could tell from her face that something was up.

"What's up Bluebell?" he asked cautiously. "I got a call. My mother….she had a stroke. She is in the hospital right now. I need to go to her."

"To your mother? Who you just an hour ago were happy to be away from?" "She is in the hospital Jon. I need to go see her."

She threw clothes into her suitcase on the bed.

"So you will check on her and come back here, right? Your new job starts in a couple of days."

"What? Oh, yes. I will check on her, find out what the doctors say and return."

"Good because I would terribly miss you, you know?"

"Thanks. That is nice. I have to go. I will drive down there. Take care Jon."

She kissed him on the cheek and he walked out with her.

"You need help with the suitcase?" "No, it has wheels for a reason."

She got on the elevator alone and Jon watched the doors close.

He still had the papers in his hand…