5

I woke up to Kat rustling around in the kitchen, "sorry!" She said as she dropped a box of cereal loudly on the floor. I chuckled, "it's okay I'm up I'm up." I rubbed my eyes and checked my phone.
Dad: hey sweetie I hope you are doing well, I can't wait to see you for your birthday. Miss you ❤️
My birthday wasn't for a couple months but Dad and I have been planning this for forever. He always took my birthday so seriously, but he's taking this one way more seriously since it will be my 21st.
Unknown number: Hey Cora it's Colby. Kat gave me your number, I just wanted to check up on you and make sure you're still okay. I'm looking forward to hunting ghosts with you.
I saved his number and responded to both of them. "Wow you're popular" Kat said walking over and fixing her work hat, she had to work today. "What can I say" I said with a laugh getting up, "What are you up to today?" Kat asked me as I gathered my things to go back to my place, "I think I'm going to head to the studio, maybe grab lunch. I'm not sure." I said as we walked out of the apartment into the hot LA sun. "Alright well I will see you later!" Kat said as we parted ways. I sat in my car for a minute, taking deep breaths. I headed back to my apartment, as I walked in I realized I was still wearing Colby's clothes. They smelled like him which was oddly comforting. I had to wash them, then I would be giving them back.

I got changed quickly, and put on a light face of makeup, then I headed out to go to the studio. The whole reason I came here was to pursue music. I had to focus on that and only that if I wanted to make my dad proud. As I'm walking into the studio my phone buzzes, I look at the screen.
"Hey Colby what's up?" I say mildly confused.
"Hey so I know we just talked about this last night but Sam and I are doing a video tonight, did you want to come?" He sounded like he was a little nervous to be asking.
"Uh sure, Kat said she was interested in coming too is that okay?" I said as I set up in my booth at the studio.
"Yeah that's fine." I could hear his mouth change into a smirk. "Meet us at our house at 8. Dress warm, it might get cold where we are going." He said before hanging up. I tucked my phone in my pocket and got to work.

I had worked so hard I didn't even realize it was already 6pm. I quickly dialed Kat's number,
"Hey I just got off what's up?" She said as I heard her keys jingle as she talked.
"Sam and Colby are doing the video we are gonna be in tonight. We have to meet at their house at 8, do you want me to just pick you up??" I said collecting all my stuff and heading to my car. "Yeah that sounds good, I'll see you then." She said and we both hung up.

I rushed home to make a quick meal so I could get ready. I reapplied a little makeup and threw on a hoodie with a T-shirt under it and some leggings. As I looked in the mirror I felt broken. I pushed away the emotions Jason gave me last night, but I could see them in my eyes. I looked broken. My undereyes blackened by my lack of sleep. Nonetheless I had to go get Kat and film a video that millions would see.
You should postpone. The pesky voice in my head said. I genuinely thought about it. But this has been a dream of mine, I can't let that go over something a stupid drunk boy did.