「Eleven」

Yesterday was intense. The fact I was actually feeling something for Leo scared me. If I even got an inch close to him, history would just repeat itself. How was I going to make it a whole eighteen years with this co-parenting thing without us getting close emotionally? Easy, Louise. All I had to do was keep putting him off until he found someone else. I was just merely an infatuation that would soon fade over time.

"Earth to Louise." I was drawn from my thoughts from the sound of Kitty's voice. My hands quickly dropped from the cold beverage in front of me. My eyes met Kitty's as her eyebrows drew together.

"Huh," I was the first thing that came to mind. I had completely zoned out. "Are you okay?"

I nodded aggravated my thoughts had fallen on him once again. He was a good person when it came to kids. No reason to fall head over heels for the guy and let him occupy my thoughts. I really needed to get a grip. "Yes. I was just thinking about yesterday," I mumbled taking a sip of my soda.

"Oh really? Are you thinking about your date with Mr. Perfect yesterday?" Kitty chuckled teasingly. I sighed heavily knowing I would never hear the end of it now.

That was okay though. I wasn't going to give her any ammo to shoot the gun though. "Very funny, Kitty," I stated with a roll of the eyes.

She threw her hands up mid-air in a joking surrender. "Don't get mad at me. You're the one who slept with him," Kitty continued to teased as she slid into the seat across the table from me. Her elbows sat on the table as her fingers laced together so her chin could rest on top. A smirk crossed her lips as if she was only getting started. Yet, she dropped it as quickly as she had started it. "I thought you had to work today anyway."

I shrugged. "I did, but I left early. Being an editor can be a pain. Especially when you work with someone like Mandy." My eyes dropped and I swirled my soda with the straw as my eyes dropped. "Besides. The work environment has been a bit tensed lately. Chad has been avoiding me since the little mishap we had. I just needed a break to relax."

Kitty chuckled at the statement. "And you chose here?"

Sure the place was an eyesore for me seeing as it was an old work place for me. You'd think I keep my distance like it was the plague. But, in all honesty, it wasn't that bad. Plus, no one knew I came here once in a while just to stop by and say hi to my best friend. "Who would ever think to come looking here for me," I told her speaking my mind. I laughed at my own stale joke. I could do better. This, I admit.

"True."

"I can't believe you still work here." I was happy with my success of changing the subject. It wasn't an easy thing to do with Kitty.

"Me either. So, what's going on with you and Chad?"

I exhaled heavily as the thought of my friend was brought back up. A memory I had wanted to put to the side for a moment. So much for that. At least it was better then talking about Leo I guess. "Your guess is as good as mine. All I know is he seems still pissed about my reaction to his feelings. Truth is, all this has made me realize we are better off being nothing more than friends. I don't know what made me realize it, but I believe it was just a gut feeling." I shrugged once more as I finished explaining the best that I could.

The bell rang as the front door opened and closed announcing the arrival of a couple. A blonde short woman with her hair in a pony tail stood tall in her extremely high heels next to, whom I assumed was, her muscular boyfriend. The two followed the hostess to their table as the blond popped the gum in her mouth. "Damn it. Wendy would put them in my freaking area," Kitty mumbled under her breath. "Be right with you!"

A light chuckle rose from within me and Kitty rose an eyebrow in confusion. "Forget what I said about being surprised that you still work here. I'm surprised the boss hasn't fired you yet," I joked.

"Screw you, Louise," Kitty chuckled getting up from the table. "I'll check on your food after I take care of those two over there." She took a fortune cookie from her apron pocket and put it in front of me.

With that, Kitty was off. My eyes fell on the cookie in front of me. "Odd that an Italian restaurant has fortune cookies," I murmured to myself. It was strange indeed but I wasn't one to question it. I cracked open the cookie and took the paper out of it so I could read the fortune. If you want the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain.

My mouth almost grew dry as I read the sentence. I had pulled a cookie that pertained to me. It was just a coincidence, but it spoke truth to my situation. "Hey, Louise."

I nearly jumped from being pulled from my thoughts once again. I found Chad standing near my table as I shoved the paper into my purse. "How did you find me?"

"I didn't stalk you," Chad quickly blurted out. His eyes never left me as he slid into the seat Kitty sat in previously. I couldn't help but groan in response.

"That didn't really answer my question," I replied with a roll of my eyes.

"Mandy was looking for you. She asked me. I asked the boss. And the rest is history." I narrowed my eyes keeping quiet. My silence doing all the speaking for me. "I just spotted your car outside, so I just came in to see if you were okay since you left early."

"I just needed a break," I replied finally satisfied with his answer.

"You sure you weren't just avoiding me?" Chad asked bluntly.

I scoffed at his statement. Was he serious right now? Were we not in the same work place? "No. I just needed a break. Anyways, you're the one who has been avoiding me since we had that fall out," I stated rolling my eyes.

Chad exhaled heavily. "Look, I shouldn't have gotten angry. I'm sorry. I was just heartbroken you didn't share the same feelings for me. But, I feel, if we start over, we can build a meaning relationship."

My mouth went straight to my straw as I sipped heavily trying to keep my frustration from showing. I wrecked my brain for a way to explain to him I didn't want a relationship without hurt his feelings even more.

Kitty made her way back over to the table. "Oh hey Chad what are you doing here? Hope I'm not interrupting," she said sarcastically. Chad opened his mouth to answer, but Kitty continued on turning her attention to me. "Here's your pizza, Louise. Fresh out of the oven." A smile crossed her face as she placed the plate in front of me with two slices of pizza.

"Thank you," I replied with a soft smile. I tried to pick up the pizza, but it was too hot to touch.

"We're just trying to work things out between us," Chad stated with a grin keeping his eyes on me.

I let out a frustrated groan. "There is no us," I hissed slowly. "Look, Chad. After our spat, it opened my eyes and made me realize we were better off being nothing more than friends."

Chad's hands stretched across the table taking my hands into his own. He held on with a gentle grip. "Look, I know we didn't get off to a great start. But, in all reality, no relationship is perfect. I believe if we start over we could make this work on better terms. Just give me a chance." I was speechless. Not because I was overwhelmed by his words or anything, but because I couldn't think of anything else to say to explain things anything more clearer. It was like I was talking to a brick wall. I was completely clueless about what to say next. "So what do you say?"

"I can't." I pulled my hands free from his grasp and placing them firmly in my lap. I felt bad for hurting his feelings again. But what could I say?

"But why not? I can change." My heart ached for him, but I couldn't feel anything for him outside of our friendship.

"Because she's mine," a familiar voice announced. I swallowed hard. I had missed him arriving, but I couldn't mistake that voice for anyone else. Leo approached our table which made my heart race betray me. 

A/N: Sorry for the delay. Had writer's block and still swamped at work. Will try my best to try to try to update again in the next two weeks. Going to try to get back on schedule. Thanks for the patience and understanding.