「Eighteen」

A/N: I updated the ending of chapter seventeen so to understand what she means by Leo being right, you'd have to re-read the ending. Sorry about that. Just figured the new ending sounded better.

This chapter is dedicated to weirdkid99

Leo was right. I had let past fear run my future for way too long. I had a great guy trying to be there for me unlike the past guys in my life. Then, I had a little girl who counted on me. She didn't deserve me cowering away just because I feared on losing another little girl. I just needed to treasure the days I had with her.

I smiled as I stood in the back door with my arms crossed watching Amora play in the backyard. I had missed her over the few days we had been apart. Excitement grew within me when I had gotten a call saying I was approved for temporary guardianship. I had signed the documents without a second thought knowing it was only step one. Step two was to become her foster parent. It was doing right by her.

"You'll have to take her to her doctor's appointment. The information is in the bag." I turned around and smiled warmly at Tai as she handed me the bag. "This is Amora's belongings."

"I can do that," I reassured swinging the bag over my shoulder. I couldn't believe that the duffel bag was enough to hold Amora's belongings. It just made me realize even more how little the little girl had. It just reminded me of the deadbeat mother she had and it made me feel worse for her.

I stepped out on the porch and made my presence finally known to Amora by saying out loud the words I had been dying to say since I had been approved to bring her home. "Amora, are you ready to go home?" My heart raced as I felt what seemed to be nerves. I couldn't decide if I had been more overwhelmed by taking her home or the moment signed the documents sealing the temporary guardianship. Still, this was only step one and I had to take one day at a time for we had a long journey ahead of us.

Amora turned her head and smiled once her eyes met mine as she completely forgot the game at hand. She took off running and I bent down to her level when she came up the steps and wrapped her arms around me embracing me with a hug. "I've missed you!" she screamed with glee.

I chuckled. "I've missed you too, kiddo." It may have only been a few days, but for some reason, it felt like forever since I had seen her. "You ready to go home?" I asked again repeating my previous question.

"Yes please," Amora replied. I took her hand taking this as an invitation to leave this place hopefully behind forever.

She waved goodbye as I lead her down the steps and away from the center. The smile on her face only warmed my heart to know I was doing a good thing for her and that I was keeping my promise to her.

It was the evening of a school day as we drove away. The sun was slowly setting and there were few clouds. I had turned on child-friendly music for Amora to listen to on the way home and I could hear her sing some words. It was obvious she knew of the song, but didn't have it remembered to the point. I decided to join in and noticed Amora had started smiling once I did in the review mirror. "Louise," Amora asked as soon as the song ended. I peeked in the review mirror once again only to see that her smile dropped. It for some reason made me uneasy as my eyes quickly went back onto the road.

"Yes sweetie." I tried to keep calm wondering what was wrong. Had I done something?

"Why doesn't my mommy love me?"

I inhaled heavily as the question hit me hard. I knew it wasn't going to be easy taking the little girl in my care, but I didn't realize how hard it was going to be until she asked me that question. Honestly, I think it could easily be the hardest in taking the little girl into my home. I had to deal with the rejection she felt from someone who was supposed to love her and show her the love she was missing out on thanks to her missing parents. This girl had it bad and it was my job to make it easier on her. I exhaled slowly thinking quick on my feet. "She does love you," I replied deciding to give a simple answer hoping this would make her feel better.

"Well then why doesn't my mommy want me?" Amora continued to press.

"She does want you. Your mom," I trailed off as my heart pounded heavily. It went out for her, but I was also sweating it out because she was completely putting me on the spot. I hadn't thought of an answer for any of these questions. Heck, I hadn't even thought these would be questions this early on. So, I went with the first answer that came to mind. "Your mom is just trying to get better so she can bring you home."

When Amora didn't say anything for what seemed like forever, I looked into the review mirror again to see Amora staring out the window. My eyes fell back to the road as my heart melted for her. I knew this was confusing and heartbreaking for her. I wish I could make things easier for her. "I wish you were my mommy. I wish I could stay with you forever," Amora said after a few moments of silence. Right than and there I could explain how I was feeling deep down. It was emotional no doubt. I bit my tongue because, secretly, I felt the same way. "I love you, Louise."

I smiled. "I love you too, Amora." It was than I realized I wanted to remember every moment with her no matter what happened. Starting with the day I brought her home. So, I pulled over and turned off the engine. I took Amora out the backseat and we stood in front of the sun setting in the back which made for a beautiful background. There we snapped a picture to so we had something to remember this day by no matter what.