「Twenty-One」

A/N: Chapter Dedicated to the following -
numanariver
LoubitonDiva
lashanti0502
Karitempo222
fififes
Mybestfriendisabagel - Welcome to the hopeless romantic community!
LoLlyza_16 - Welcome to the hopeless romantic community!

"He was one of my lawyers in the custody case," Kandy taunted. "We also had amazing sex," she cooed as a mischievous smirk spread across her face.

The words was a heavy blow to me. I felt like the air had been knocked out of me. I was speechless. No amount of words could explain how I felt right then and there. I felt betrayed. I knew he hadn't known me back than, but he did know Kandy. She abandoned her daughter and showed no care for her. Now look where she ended up. All I wanted to know was why. But, I couldn't bring myself to ask the question. I was too hurt to even care because he hadn't done right by Nikita. "I didn't sleep with you, Kandy," Leo hissed.

I was knocked from my thoughts when I heard him speak and looked at him once because he had only denied the fact that they had intercourse. He didn't deny playing a part in putting Nikita back in the hands of this monster. "But, you did play a part in her being taken?" It was a rhetorical question. I knew the answer, but deep down hoped I was wrong. However, when he stood there for a few seconds without a word, that confirmed what I already knew deep down in my heart. My heart pounded and I held back the water works that threaten to fall as I slowly shook my head in disbelief.

I was met with a few seconds of silence. Kandy didn't even dare speak a word. After what felt like an eternity pass, he finally spoke up. "I can explain," he said.

I was unsure there was any reason he could give me that would justify what he had done. So many questions I had for him. Had he even done his research before helping her? Or had it all been about money? All the questions died on my tongue though as I took the keys from his hand. "No, you don't get to explain. You've had plenty of time to tell me, Leo, but instead you kept me in the dark. I thought you were different from the others, but I guess I was wrong. Now, Nikita is in the hospital thanks to her bitch of mother."

"Hey," Kandy hissed. Ace held her back as she tried to make her way over to me defend herself against the statement.

I snorted at her attempt to hurt me for telling it like it was. I honestly wish Ace would let her go so I had a reason to finally give her the long overdue punch in the face that she deserved. "Shut up, Kandy. Your daughter is here because of you," I snapped pointing my finger at her. "All you care about is yourself. Why not try caring about someone other than yourself for once," I hissed before pushing pass Leo so I could escape the heated situation.

"Louise," Leo said. He tried to grab my arm to stop me from leaving, but I was able to dodge his attempt quickly.

"Leave me alone," I snapped as I side stepped him and went out the exit door that went back to the lobby. My chest felt heavy as I made my way over to Amora who sat on the floor playing with the toys provided by the hospital. I smiled softly to try to mask the mixed emotions I was feeling right now.

Apparently, I had done a poor job because when Amora looked up at me, she frowned. "What's wrong?" she asked proving kids weren't as blind as us adults liked to believe.

I smiled a bit more to try to reassure her. "Nothing," I said clearing my throat. "Let's go get that ice cream." The attempt to change the subject was a success as Amora jumped off the floor with a big grin on her face and grabbed my hand with hers.

"Yes please!" As we left the hospital, I peered back to see Leo standing in the lobby. He didn't dare make a move toward me and his face showed signs of sadness. I wondered how long he had been standing there, but figured he didn't dare approach me while talking to Amora or even chase after us as we left for fear of making a scene.

xxx

I was clueless on how to take what had just happened. I needed someone to talk to and get my feelings off my chest. So, I decided to take Amora to where Kitty worked to get some ice cream. That way, while she ate her ice cream, we could have some much needed girl on girl talk.

I watched Amora sitting in the booth next to me coloring on the coloring mat Kitty had provided her to keep her busy while her milkshake was being made by the chef. This provided enough time to caught Kitty up to speed. After Kitty had went to fetch Amora her milkshake and put it in front of Amora, we continued our conversation.

"So, did he explain why he did it?" Kitty asked why. She was leaning in on the table with her hands folded together on the table. We talked in a lower tone to keep Amora from overhearing.

The question made me bite my bottom lip as I grew deep in thought. I could have had closure, but instead, I had ran out just because I was having mixed emotions. I had been unsure what to say or how to feel. I didn't even know if I could handle the reasoning behind why he thought it was a good idea to defend a monster like Kandy. At the end of the day, it wouldn't have hurt to listen, but I was afraid the answer would only make the wound deeper. I sighed softly letting my bottom lip free before finally giving her an answer after a slight pause. "He tried, but I wouldn't let him."

"Louise," Kitty said slowly. I knew she was about to call me out on not getting some answers, but she didn't know how I felt when I was hit with the sudden blow from Kandy. So, I quickly defended myself.

"I was hurt and confused. I felt like I couldn't breath. I just needed to get out of there," I rushed to add before she had a chance to judge my decision to run out on Leo.

Kitty took a deep breath. "I understand, Louise. I still say you should give him a chance to tell his side of the story. You know how Kandy is. There are probably some parts of the story missing or even fabricated. Besides, you'll always wonder if you don't get answers."

She was right. I wanted to answers. I knew when Kandy told me that I wanted answers. So why did I run out when Leo tried to give me just that? Because I was scared of what he would say and was even more afraid that they would only make things worse.