「Twelve」

Leo slid into the seat near me and brought his arm around me. My face burned as my heart continued to race at a quicker speed. I inhaled slowly and heavily trying to keep my mind steady. I had to keep reminding myself that we were nothing more than co-parents and possibly friends. I did my best to ignore the butterfly feelings crawling from up within me.

"Who are you?" Chad asked narrowing his eyes as they made contact with Leo.

I groaned at the question. There was nothing but trouble that was bound to come from the two men talking let along being in the same room with the knowledge of each other. "It's complicated-"

"We are testing the waters," Leo stated at the same time I spoke. I met his gaze and he rewarded it with a smile.

"It's complicated," I repeated in a slower pace.

"So your choosing him over me?" Chad asked through gritted teeth. His eyebrows were drawn together and he looked ready to pop a vein.

I narrowed my eyes. He was being a jerk, but I was not backing down. "I'm not picking anyone. But, even if I was, I did give you a chance. You shot me down when you realized it wouldn't be on your terms," I hissed.

"And I said I was sorry. Why do you have to be such a bitch to me?"

I sat there speechless, but quickly recovered as I got up from my chair. "You know what, Chad? Screw you. I don't even think we should be friends. I'm leaving."

I flipped him off and turned to leaving thinking I was making a bad ass exit when my arm was caught in a grip. I was spun around coming face to face with Chad as he pulled me into his arms and held me close to his chest. My heart thumped against my chest heavily. Not in the same way when I was in Leo's arms. It was more of a concerning beating. "I'm sorry," Chad apologized for the millionth time as his hand slid down my ass.

"I don't care Chad, you need to let me go now," I warned.

"I think you better listen to the lady," Leo chimed in as he made his way to us.

"I think you need to mind your own business," Chad snapped back. I could feel his grip tighten on the smaller back of my waist and butt, so my knee said hello to his groin real quick. He groaned releasing his grip as his hands went to his now injured private parts. I smirked feeling proud of my handiwork. "You fucking bitch."

Within a second, Leo had Chad's shirt in the balls of his fist. Chad's back pressed up against the wall as Leo stared down at Chad. I could see the anger that had grew in Leo's eyes. I was taken aback by the sudden reaction from his reaction. "Call her a bitch one more time and I swear you will regret it," Leo hissed.

A small smile crept back on my face feeling a bit thankful for Leo having my back. Chad stood there speechless and I'm glad I hadn't fallen for his toxic behavior. I had avoided falling into the same pattern as before and I was proud of myself.

"Good. We have an understanding." Leo let go of Chad and stood back a few feet staring him down as if daring him to make a move. "And stay away from her outside of work related assignments or else." With that, Leo led me out of the restaurant as I waved a quick goodbye to Kitty.

He made his way to his vehicle. I smiled and, against better judgement, kissed his cheek. This caught him off guard as his anger melted and a smile replaced it. "Thank you for standing up for me back there."

Leo grinned. "You didn't need my help. You proved that. He just had no right calling you out your name."

"Still thank you," I said with a smile.

"I want to show you something," Leo said as he opened his car door for me.

"How about I follow you. I did bring my own car," I responded looking over where I parked before meeting his eyes once again.