2. Match

Deontay

She paced the room trying to get away from the obvious. We weren't going to last long after he got out. I don't even have to imagine how she is feeling because I know. The feeling you get just thinking about someone from your past coming back and picking up where they left off never leaves you. At this point I'm slightly prepared to go back to the day to day task of dating.

"Exactly. You can just say it." Maybe I should take my friends advice and just do what I want to do. Even though I was able to reconnect with family and friends I never took time for myself. Kev and Kenya along with a few others were people that I am glad to have in my life again.

I tapped my hand on the counter waiting for a response or even eye contact.

"I'll make the decision for you." I grabbed my keys and thought of shit to do to kill time. I couldn't looks at her nor did I want to be in her presence. I didn't have any anger in my heart towards her because I would also be confused and conflicted.

"You can't just up and leave?" I started to tell her she shouldn't be here when I get home but I held my tongue.

"Myles needs school shoes." I said I plainly before leaving out of the front door. I had hours to kill before meeting Kevin which was a whole lot of time to get over what ever I was feeling. Kenya's house was right in the way to my sisters house. While Jas called me repeatedly called my phone as I drove farther from the house.

"You had nothing to say when I was in front of you but blow you want to talk?" I sat at a light patiently waiting for her response. Traffic was light all the way until I got to the city limits. This was the only thing I hated about going back to the hood.

"Where did you go?" Her voice boomed through the speakers of my car with a hint of sadness. There aren't many things in the world that can tug at my heart strings but the tremble in her voice definitely did.

"Out Jas. I don't want to argue I just want you to and a choice before shit gets hectic." The light turned green as she sighed. I stopped the conversation because I didn't want to put any pressure on her to say something she didn't mean.

"Ok." She hung up. I knew me speaking with no emotion killed her but it was a defense mechanism for myself. I was simply preparing myself for the worst.

I dashed down the side streets to Kenya's building. Without hesitation I made my way up the steps and saying hey to the folks that sat along side the streets.

"Back again huh." The works flowed out Rodney, and old neighbor's mouth.

"Chill." I dapped him up once more before opening the building door. The third floor never seemed farther. The halls were filled with loud TV sets and petty arguments.

Coming over unannounced wasn't always wise but I did it so often she expected me.

"I heard you pull up." She snatched the door open because I could even knock. I laughed as she held the door open and ushered me in to the apartment.

"Rodney saw you huh?" She asked closing the door behind me.

"You know he did. The nigga leaves the stoop."  As usual she had candles lit but this time she was just opened a bottle of wine.

"Hard day Huh?" I lifted the bottle from the table.

"I'm guessing your day was a bit harder." She said checking the time. I looked up at her noticing covering her half naked body with a blanket.

"I wouldn't say that..." I told her everything. From what I would be doing later that night to Tyson's return with a splash of my sister and nephew.

"Tyson's fine ass is getting out?!" After a 20 minute conversation that was the only bit of information that stuck. I snapped my neck in her direction as she readjusted her body on the sofa.

"Really?" I gave her a look.

"I'm just saying you ain't the only fine nigga in the city anymore." Kenya grabbed the now empty bottle of wine and took it to the kitchen this time without the blanket. I watched her hips sway from left to right as her chocolate legs carried her.

"Yeah whatever." I smacked my teeth as she giggled.

"Mmhmm and he probably got all strong and shit. I wonder he is going back down south or sticking around." As she rambled about in her thoughts I was wrapped up in mine.

"Do you think she will go back to him? I mean honest?" She compared two types of wine before opening another.

"I don't even know Ken."  I wouldn't blame her if she did but I need to know immediately. She waited until she sat back down to reply. She lifted my chin before she spoke.

"So you left your brand new fancy house to come here and mope? I get it, it would be nice to be in the same page with her but I'm really not feeling your energy." I know how blunt she is and that's part of the reason I missed her. Even when we were younger she didn't have any cut cards.

"I'm afraid I put all my eggs in one basket. Like what makes me happy is about to walk out of the door. Like, no amount of money, talking, or sex can change it because she loves him." It felt like I lost 20 pounds. Saying what I have been thinking since I asked her to move in.

"I'm glad you said it. Saying out loud will help."

"This is why I love you. That mind control shit that you do to make everything make sense." I proped my legs up on hers for her to immediately push them off.

"Since you missed me oh so much tell my why the first time I have seen you in 6 years was 4 months ago?" She was calm and that's what scared me. I stayed quiet because I know the big bomb was coming.

"I'm glad you brought it up. I know it's been killing you because it's been killing me..."

"Not to mention that beautiful heart to heart at the cook out and you fucking the shit out of me for hours for you to tell me about Jas." My eyes were drawn to her thighs. She was right.

The main reason Kenya and I disconnected is because I lied to her about my relationship status. When Emerald found out about Bianca and all my extra curricular activities so did Kenya who wanted nothing to do with me. We started to communicate again on social media when I started hanging out on the block after E and I split. After long conversations via DM I then graduated to FaceTime calls before running in to each other at a mutual friend's cook out. I slowly worked my way in to met good graces and when Kenya allowed me back in her life we started to spend the majority of our free time together. At the time Kenya was working like a dog so it wasn't much. One night I popped up to her place on my way home after work. While I mess there we talked about everything under the sun before one thing led to another and it's safe to say I never went home. Neither one of us wanted it to happen but it turn out to be one of my best worst decisions. The next morning I came clean before we ended back up at square one.

"I fucked the shit out of you?" She let me touch her slightly breaking her focus.

"That's what I'm talking about. Your ass can't be serious. You basically cried your eyes out to me about another bitch and now you wanna fuck."

"I just wanted you to admin it. In a serious note I just didn't want to you to be blind sided and I honestly... I don't know." I stopped before I made it worse. If I cared about anything but myself I wouldn't have put anyone in this situation.

"The next time you fuck with me will be on my terms if at all." She swatted my hands away before she slid her hands up my chest and around my neck.

"Your terms?" My eyes widened as she went from the couch to my lap. My hands rested in her curves while she whispered in my ear.

"You are so used to getting what you want now it's about what I want." Surprisingly when I leaned in to kiss me she kissed be right back. Maybe I have met my match.

••
Comment what your are thinking. I love hearing from y'all! More comments = more updates! Love y'all 🖤