o n e ~ home away from home - TWILIGHT

Eleanor Beckett lifted the last box out of her brothers' car and onto the ground, the one part of the concrete that wasn't soaked in water from when it rained just a few minutes ago. She looked up at the dull, grey sky and sighed, brushing strands of dark ginger hair from her face. Eleanor glanced down at the box, things from her parents that she couldn't bear to part with, her four-year-old sister Lilah still needed to know what they looked like when she grows up.

Never being able to see her mother and father again felt like a stone in her stomach, weighing her down until she can't bear it any longer. Three months after the fatal car crash and their parents funeral Theo, who was twenty-four, packed up everything they had to move them to Forks where her father owned the property after her Uncle, his brother passed away and so that's where they would live until Theo, her older brother, could get his bearings together. They would wait until Eleanor finished high school to find a more permanent residence for Lilah to start school as well.

Picking up the last box, the red-headed teenager made her way up the white steps that were starting to collect snow and into the warm house. She kicked the door closed behind her, as squeals erupted from deeper within the house. Eleanor smiled softly, her younger sister Lilah ran around the corner and straight into Eleanor's legs making the teenager almost drop the heavy box on Lilah's head.

"Woah! Slow down there, Princess!" Eleanor gushed, pushing her little sister with one hand out of the way. Lilah brushed strands of ginger hair out of her face and pouted.

"Sorry Ellie, Theo's trying to get me though! Tell him to stop tickling me, I'm too old for that!" Lilah folded her arms. Theo came striding around the corner, a large smirk on his face. His blond hair was cut short and styled nicely, green eyes dazzled in the light. 

"Thanks for getting the last box, Ellie." Theo smiled, he was tall with a medium build and stood with his arms folded over his chest. He glanced down at Lilah and wiggled his fingers, waving at her.

"No tickling!" Lilah shouted, pointing her index finger at her older brother.

"Yeah, she's 'too old' for that." Eleanor rolled her eyes and moved forward, letting her feet take her towards the little study that was across from her room. She placed the box on the bay window next to the pillows and looked around the room. A bookshelf had been built into the wall with a desk opposite it as well as a small filing cabinet next to the desk. Eleanor opened up the box and stared at the photo that was on top, her mother and father staring happily into the eyes of each other on their wedding day. The photo underneath their wedding photo was a picture taken one day at the beach several months back - Thomas Beckett stood with his arms around Theo and Eleanor while Beatrice sat on the ground with Lilah in her lap.

Tears built up in Eleanor's eyes, she missed her mother's hugs and her father's bad dad jokes. She missed being happy, she missed being able to wake up in the morning and not cry because of the sudden realisation that there would never be another happy minute with her parents ever again. She hates the idea that Lilah won't remember Thomas and Beatrice the way herself and Theo could.

Eleanor started to place the few photo frames on the bookshelf where there were empty spots, trying not to cry her eyes out. "Hey." Eleanor turned around and stared at her brother. 

"Hey." She quickly blinked her tears away, folding up the box when it became empty. She sat down on the bay window seat and glanced out the window, watching as the snow started to fall.

"So, we still have a lot of unpacking to do but while you're at school tomorrow, Lilah and I will continue to unpack." Eleanor nodded, gripping the box tighter in her hands. School. Eleanor sighed.

"I can stay home another day, maybe until this place starts to feel like home?" Eleanor suggested hopefully shrugging her shoulders. Theo shook his head, leaning against the doorway to the study.

"No can do, you've missed too much school as it is. I don't want your new reputation to be tainted due to missing too much school." Theo explained.

"Theo, it's a small-knit community. People will know we moved here because our parents died. I doubt they'll care that I've missed school." Eleanor replied, standing up.

"You'd be surprised. Ya know, before you were born we actually used to live here with Uncle Ryland. Then you came along so we had to move." Eleanor smiled, nodding. "Right, anyway. We're ordering in Chinese for dinner and I want you to make sure you've got all your stuff together for tomorrow." Theo gave a curt nod before moving out of the doorframe and disappearing around the corner. Eleanor sighed again, feeling her stomach become heavy with that rock once more. School.