22 | Halfway Happy

•••

IT HAS BEEN ALMOST A YEAR since Jim Hopper took the three kids in

IT HAS BEEN ALMOST A YEAR since Jim Hopper took the three kids in. And it was chaos at first and hard to believe but it happened.

The three hesitant kids grew close to the older man, the three viewed Hopper as the parental figure they never had and Jim really cared for the kids as if they were his own, which they were in a way, to him.

A lot has happened in that time, Hopper gave Levi a haircut, after Levi nagging Hopper about it, since the boy's hair was at his shoulders and he wanted his short messy curls back. Five has softened up more much to his dismay. And surprise! Levi told El, Five and Jim that he’s been seeing the ghost of their dead friend Six! Yay!

After hearing the news Hopper was weary and El and Five were a bit confused but the two kids understood since well they were used to it since Six talked to the mid-air every day when he was alive. They all got used to it and never blinked an eye when Levi started talking to air even if it might seem weird.

Right now it was nighttime, Five and Levi were in the living room of the cabin, Five was watching a horror movie while Levi was on the floor sketching the character Michael Myers from the movie into the sketchbook Hopper bought him after the man noticed his pen missing, finding Levi in his room drawing a cartoon doodle of a unicorn on his arm.

El was in the kitchen eating waffles, which Five scolded her for since it was one of Hopper’s rules not to eat Eggos or pudding before dinner. But she ignored the slightly older boy and continued, not caring about the consequences.

Levi put down the pencil in his hand watching the screen as Michael killed a girl, he looked down at the drawing mentally patting himself on the back when he realized his drawing was getting better.

The boy turned around, showing the paper to Five who took it, smiling. “It’s really good, T.” he said softly, handing the drawing back, squeezing the boy's shoulder before glancing at the clock hanging on the wall with nervous eyes.

8:15...uh-oh.

“He should be here by now.” Five mumbled, getting up from the couch as Levi watched the movie while organizing his colored pencils, oblivious to what was happening.

Just as Five got up to look out the window, thudding on the door caught his attention, causing the boy to jump.

Knock knock...knock...knock knock knock.

Five ran to the door, unlocking the multiple locks on the door, swinging the door open revealing an exhausted Hopper.

Levi looked up from the t.v, his curious and excited eyes landing on the man, seeing Hopper taking off his hat and jacket with a sigh in relief to be home finally.