28 | Home?

•••

"I JUST NEED A LITTLE HELP UNDERSTANDING

"I JUST NEED A LITTLE HELP UNDERSTANDING." The lady who let them in, who they now know as Becky said.

Levi sat in the middle of Five and El as they all sat around the dining table, listening to Becky talk from across them.

Levi slowly ate the sandwich she made for him with uncertainty, glancing at Five and El who haven't touched theirs. Unsure if he should be eating or not. He was hungry though and silently wished he had some chocolate.

Levi didn't look at the lady as she spoke again, just following Five's and El's line of sight, seeing them watching Terry, or Twelve and Eleven's mother, rock back and forth in her chair while watching whatever was on tv.

"Can you tell me where you two came from? Where you've been all this time?"

None of the kids said anything causing the woman to sigh. "A policeman and a woman came looking for you last year. Did they find you two?"

That sentence made Levi curious, was she talking about Hopper and maybe, Joyce?

"She won't get better...will she?" Eleven asked softly, not taking her eyes off her mother, glancing towards the boy next to her.

"They don't think so, no. But she's not in any pain. She's just stuck, they think. Like in a dream. A long dream." Becky said, sending shivers down Levi's spine.

Levi swallowed the rest of his food, before turning to look at the lady with squinted eyes. "Being stuck...is lonely. Lonely hurts."

Becky looked at the boy with tears in her eyes as Levi fiddled with Ben in his lap afraid of the attention he was getting from the woman he barely knew. "She always believed that you's were out there. She always believed that you'd come home one day."

Five clenched his jaw as he saw El and Levi holding back tears, glaring at the lady, knowing the lady's words would affect them.

"Home?" Eleven questioned, her voice cracking as a tear falls down her cheek.

Levi looks confused at the word. He has heard Five say it, Mike say it, hell even Dustin and Lucas say it. But he never quite understood the word.

"Yeah, home."

•••

The door creaks open as Becky gestures for Levi and El to come in. Five stayed by the door with Becky as the two siblings slowly walked into what was supposed to be their shared bedroom.

Eleven held Twelve's hand as they took in the white walls. Two baby cribs on each side of the room, one with pink blankets and one with baby blue. There was a blue dollhouse in the corner of the room, on top of it held a small radio and some knickknacks.

The window had a little bench seat, holding some blankets and a few plushies, one being a unicorn and another a dragon that Levi avoided looking at because if he looked too long he'd want to steal them. A big toy box by the bench, and a comfy-looking chair by the window, facing the cribs.