2: Him

(That's what I picture Korra to look like. It's similar to the character in my mind.)

It was him.

Devlin Steel was him!

The guy from this morning who bumped into me. Well ok, maybe it was partly my fault.

His eyes flash with amusement as he too recognized me. I'm in total deep shit. I just know it. I might as well just keep my pride and walk out now before he tells me I didn't get the job. I thought hopelessly.

"Come sit." he says with a smirk. I gulp back bile as I obey his command.

He clears his throat, as he begins. "I presume you remember me. I'm the prick you ran into all in a rush, spilling your Starbucks all over my shoes." he says with a crooked smile.

Perfect, pearly whites flash in my direction. My heart melted a little in my chest.

"I'm so s-sorry if I-I had known it was you, I would have n-never..."

He holds his hand up stopping me from making a complete fool out of myself.

" Let me continue. I need someone to do a simple job for me. My father insist that I need to get out more. Find a lady friend to give the press a show." he says while folding his fist together in a business like manner.

My mouth went dry. He wanted to use me as a fake girlfriend! I don't know a thing about relationships, let alone fake ones. I was always focused on my studies, so that I could get into collage here. I didn't really have time for silly boys; who would probably break my heart as soon as they got what they wanted out of me.

"You seem to fit the part as my fake girlfriend perfectly." he says with a mischievous grin.

"I don't think..." I start in a whisper.

"I'll pay you $100 bucks an hour." he says nonchalantly. My jaw went slack. Holy cow, was he for real? That would be enough money to pay for collage. Heck, I could probably drop out if I wanted to. But I would be living a lie. My momma raised me better then that.

"But you have to make a few changes to your lifestyle." he begins again. "You will no longer stay in you dorm back at NYU. I well have an apartment already finished and paid for; in one of my buildings of course. As for your wardrobe that will be taken care of as well." He says while giving me a serious expression. This guy was crazy. A giggle escapes my mouth. I cover my mouth to keeping from laughing out loud. I couldn't hold back a snort that slipped out. His face hardens with disapproval. I quickly cover my laugh with a cough as I yank my hands back down in my lap.

"You think this is funny? You think that this is a joke. That I'm some kind of nut job!" his voice raises with every word, making me flinch back away from him. His eyes seemed to glow with anger. No, they really looked like they were glowing.

Air struggled to fill my lungs. It felt like someone was wrapping their hands around my throat. Cutting my flow of oxygen off. I felt like I was going to pass out. Black spots danced across my closed eyelids, every time I blinked.

He walks over to me and places a hand on my tense shoulders. Air swooshes back into my struggling lungs again, from his heated touch.

"It's a sweet and easy offer. Any sane person would take it. This will only come once in your life. Don't pass up an opportunity like this Korra. So do we have a deal?" he says. He licks his bottom lip as he stares at my exposed legs. I shift nervously under his piercing blue eyes.

My mind was sending warning signals to my body. But it was ignoring it's signals to get away from his touch.

My downstairs area became hot and moist just by this simple touch. I should recoil away from his touch. I would have told him that this was prostitution, minus the selling my body part. But what if...

I surprised the hell out if me when I said. "Ok deal. What time do you want me to be here tomorrow?" I gasp with confusion. Where had that came from? It was like I had no control over my mouth. He smiles, pleased with himself then walks back over to his desk. An almost twisted smile was painted onto his handsome face.

"You can start at 7:00 AM, on the dot. Don't be late or I'll pull your pay back." he says in his business like tone.

I nod my head, taking in his words like a sponge.

He reaches into his drawer and pulls out a black box, tied with a big red bow on it.

He leans over his desk to hand it to me. I see a small peep of black inky design. It revealed itself from under his black suit jacket. I guess he could sense me staring at it. He harshly yanks his sleeve back down. I grab the box and open it. Inside was a black plastic card along with a gold key and a car keys to a Mercedes Benz.

Devlin answers the question that was forming in my brain. "The card is for when I deposit your money into your account. The gold key is for your new apartment, and the other key I'm pretty sure you know what that's for. It should be parked outside for you."

As if on cue to end his sentence, his phone rings. He picks it up, "Hello?... No I told you that's not going to work!... Well you know what, who's damn fault is that!? It sure as hell isn't mine!... Fix this or I'll..." he stops in mid sentence when he realizes I'm staring at him. "What are you still doing here?" he asked while holding the phone away from his mouth.

I took that as my cue to leave. I scurry to my feet. But not fast enough before I hear him yell at the phone again. "No, not you! Your better have that fixed or I'll eat your fucking soul!"

At those words I sprint to the elevator. Past the red head behind the glass desk.
Past the crowd of people in the lobby. Then out the glass swivel doors.

And just like he said a glossy, brand new, candy red Mercedes was parked outside waiting for me. It was a two seater convertible.

I fumble for the keys and press the button to unlock it. I go over to drivers seat. As soon as I got in the car, that new clean smell hit my nose. I throw my purse in the passenger seat. A blood red envelope catches my eye.

I put the key in the ignition before I open the letter.

In neat curly cursive handwriting it read:

Dear Korra,

Pick out something nice for tomorrow. I want you to show me exactly what women, of this generation, think about.

XO,

D.