chapter 2: current day

I nervously walked through the school gates, my cousins were next to me chatting away about something. A new school. A new start. A new life. I was worried that my clothes were terrible and my hair really messy. Popular people didn't like being associated with people like me, which meant I'd likely be one of their make fun of targets. Today I had made sure that my long hair was covering the scar that raked down the side of my face, I was worried that it would stand out, and I didn't like people knowing about me or my past.

"Kimarrah, are you okay? You look deadly pale." Alle stated. I nodded and shakily walked. The school was huge, with a big sign saying WESTBAN HIGH SCHOOL. Ihzhak came closer and put an arm around my shoulders.

"Don't worry Kimmy, If anyone hurts you or is an ass to you, come tell me, I'll sort them out." He whispered in my ear. I nodded in a shy way and carried on walking.

People turned to look at me and my cousins, they stared with wide eyes as we walked past.

"Why is everyone staring?" I asked them. It was Alle who answered.

"Ihzhak is a popular basketball player here, and the only basketball player single, well apart from Daniel. But every girl wants to get into Ihzhak's pants, It's so gross!" Alle commented. I nodded.

"But that don't explain why they're all staring." I commented.

"Because, I'm known as Ihzhak's sister and no one knows you, so they probably assume you're his girlfriend and that's he's off the market." she commented. I went wide eyed at her. She laughed.

"Calm down." Alle commented. I decided that if I were gonna be going to this school, from now on I wouldn't show fear. Fear is what gets you killed in a place like this. I put a blank expression on my face, like the many times I had practised before I had to move. I shrugged Ihzhak's arm off of my shoulder, and continued to walk. Alle walked faster to catch up with me.

"Are you okay? What's with the sudden confidence?" She asked. I shrugged.

"It's not good to show your fear, not in a place where you're on the bottom of the food chain, fear is what gets you killed. Ask my mother, she would know." I said without a tear sliding down my face. Alle's face fell.

"I'm sorry." she said.

"It's okay, it happened a little while ago, I've gotta start getting over it at some point." I said, a muscle in my jaw was tight from my teeth that I clenched as I talked of my mum.

Alle showed me to the office and waited outside. I took a seat as the lady had instructed me.

"So Miss Lack, here is a map of the school, your timetable, and everything else you need." Said the principle of Westban high. I nodded my thanks and started to get up. I was halfway across the room when a guy burst through the door. He has wavy brown hair that reached his shoulders and dark brown eyes.

"You wanted to see me?" He asked the principle. The principle rolled his eyes but nodded.

"Yes, this is Kim ... Kima ... kima. How do you say your name?" the principle asked me. All my shyness had left, I rolled my eyes.

"Kimarrah." I said in a bland voice.

"Well, Daniel, it's your job to show her around school." the principle said.

"Excuse me sir, I thought one of my cousins would show me around." I said in a surprised tone. He nodded.

"Yes, well they have to study for school." he said. I clenched my teeth.

"So, Daniel will show you around." said the principle. Daniel nodded at the principle.

"You may go now." he dismissed us. I barged past Daniel and started walking into the corridor. Alle gave me a look but I ignored her. I heard fast footsteps behind me. Daniel was jogging beside me to catch up.