HEELS--4

"Assalamualaikum" I muttered walking into the house to meet Mami in the living room sitting together with Zainab.

"Wa'alaikumus Salam" Mami turned to look at me "You're home"

"Yes Mami" I removed my shoes and settled next to them

"How was it? Mami asked with her eyes on the TV

"Alhamdulillah, it was great. We had fun" I said and thought "and I met someone" but quickly cleared that thoughts off my head and added instead "Amina sent her regards and thanks"

Mami nodded "What did you get her?

I wiggled my toes and sighed tiredly "Baking kit. She loves baking and I doubt her family will get her one"

She changed the channel to news and "Humm-ed"

After two minutes of silence with my gaze fixed on a man talking about climate change, I decided to break the silence.

"I will go freshen up Mami " I stood up, raced up the stairs and walked into my room.

"Get down early for dinner" Mami shouted and I replied with an "okay"

___________________________________

"Good evening Abba" I greeted sitting next to him on the dining table

"Humaira" Abba called in his calm voice "how was your day?

I smiled instantly feeling relaxed. Abba's presence and voice always has that effect on me. Like some sort of a safe cocoon "Alhamdulillah. I attended a friend's wedding" I replied

"That's great. You had fun"

I nodded, grabbing a plate and serving my food.

"All her friends are getting married" Mami said coming to sit opposite me and I started to dread that conversation internally.

"Humaira don't you think it's high time you also start thinking of marriage" She added as I looked down at my food.

Ohh goodness, not this conversation, not now, not in front of Abba. Did mami forgot I'm only eighteen? It's not high time, if anything it is low time.

I ignored her question and practically stuffed my face with my food. When I finished, I took the plate the kitchen, washed it and grabbed a bottle of water.

"Goodnight, I will be retiring to bed now" I said as I walked pass them at the dining table.

"Goodnight Humaira" Abba chuckled knowing quite well mami's conversation earlier made me uncomfortable.

Mami looked at me then said "Don't forget to say your du'a"

I nodded and left to my room.

___________________________________

I turned on the data and my notifications flood in, our WhatsApp group was on the top so I decided to click there first after.

Girls🥂😵❤️👊

Inti❤️-- Girls guess what happened 😏

Juju💆-- Whaaaaaaat? you better spill all of it

Inti❤️-- You idiot, I also don't know the full gist. Let Humaira come first.

Juju💆-- You don't? Then why did you ask us to Guess? Smh🙄

Yus🥂-- I'm here guys.... What happened inti?

Rahrah🤯-- Wait what happened? Ugh really need to be in Abuja

I laughed seeing their excited conversation before dropping in mine