HEELS--19

"What did you do? Khadeejah asked narrowing her gaze at me

"Nothing" I said averting my gaze

"You tore something humaira" She said taking a step forward "Show me"

"I told you it's nothing" I shouted

"It is something" She shouted back as we glared at each other

"Fine, it's my father's recipe and I am not giving that to you"

Khadeejah furrowed her brows and said "Everything concerning the company belongs to my father. He bought it"

I laughed humorlessly "He bought it? He bought what exactly Khadeejah? Your father didn't buy my father's company or assets, he only decided to give us a little amount of money to send us off. He betrayed us, and stabbed my father from the back. Turned out your father did lie and forged a signature after all" I spatted watching as her eyes grow

"What... What do you mean?

"Here, see this documents" I handed them over to her and watched as she study them

"This signature is done a day after my father died. His death was made public on the 8th but he really died on the 9th. And look at the price, even this house is worth more than the money your father paid for everything. And if my father really sold it, he would have told Maami about it. In his will, there's no take over. They were only to look over it and share in the business profit as the shareholders not completely own it.

"You mean....." Khadeejah paused "Baba lied" She spoke slowly raising her eyes to meet mine

"More of betrayed" I replied as she handed over the documents to me

"I... I... I don't even know what to say or what to do. What are you going to do? What will we do?

"I'm going to go meet the girls" I said holding the documents close to my chest.

Khadeejah was quite for a while then she turned to look at me "When you go, don't come back"

"What do you mean? I furrowed my brows at suspiciously not getting where she's going. How is she suddenly believing me and not putting up a fight?

"Look I know you do not trust me. I wouldn't if I were you either. But I think this is the truth, I think... I think you're right"

She took a deep breath and continued "I will tell him we found the journal torn and he will start searching elsewhere. If you come back however, he will definitely ask where the recipe is and demand you look for it. But if you leave, then he can do nothing except follow you where you're going to ask if you know anything about it. There you have your family's support so I'm sure he won't even do that.

I kept quiet and stared at her and she sighed

"Just go and spend the night at your friends then leave to your mother's place tomorrow"

"What of my belongings? And I have exams"

"I will send your belongings over today and you can come back to write your exams. You have a week from now. Just make sure neither he nor Alhaji Salisu sees you. Without the recipe, Baba have to create another one and that will raise concerns on the tastes"

"Thank you" I said genuinely letting her know how grateful my heart is.

"I will spend the rest of my life serving you to compensate for what my family did to yours"

"It's okay Khadeejah. This game isn't over" I said grinning a little

She titled her head to one side "You plan to take over the company?