HEELS--14

"So you are going to be a Mrs I see" Hafeez said laughing and I turned to look at him

I laugh a humourless laugh and frowned my face.

"Mrs??" I started knowing I am about to blow up

"Mrs to who? That scumbag? Well why don't i Introduce myself. Nice to meet you, I am Humaira Baba Gana an advocate for women rights and looks down upon maltreating wives but destiny decided to play a game on me that I thought only existed in the Indian movies my aunties watch and I'm going to get married to a damn cousin who doesn't even know how to wash his poop or hold his head and that amazing world breaking record wedding of two lovers in lala land was thoroughly arranged by my highly great grandma who even at the bridge of death won't let me rest because I may have shit on her new bedsheet when I was a baby and hates me for the rest of my life and so for revenge decided to shit on the white plain sheet of my destiny to ruin it"

I took a deep breath and Hafeez was about to talk again when I started pouring again

"This grandmother of mine also thinks this cousin is the tall, young, rich, handsome, good behaved man who will treat his wife like a Queen. The type that only exist in the books I read. Ohh and you want to know more, this cousin of mine isn't 5% handsome so dashing my foot. He feeds off his father's money and is inches taller than me, this cousin has zero tolerance, lack sense of damn humour, always acting like a terrified goat, doesn't know the meaning and value of marriage or wife and is only getting married to me because of his sick desires. He also takes tobacco like a God damn prescribed drug"

"Woah" Hafeez breathe out as he stared at me who is profusely panting before he left and came back with a cup of water

I collected it and gulped it down in one go then handed him back the cup with my chest still heaving.

"That was....." Hafeez started

"Intense" I ended and he nodded.

"So you don't like him? He asked carefully

"DO I HAVE TO GO THROUGH ALL THAT AGAIN" I shouted and he raised his both hands

"I get it"

"I'm so angry right now" I muttered massaging my temple

"Let's go to the orphanage"

I look up at him and a smile instantly grace my face. Hafeez's orphanage was always the right place for solace.

____________________________________

A month later

The past month has been nothing but bliss. Abba's business has been running smoothly and so has our lives. With every passing day, there's an urge I have to go out and explore the world. I feel like I'm finally living my best life. Hafeez has grown to be more than a best friend but a brother. I tell him literally every single thing that happens so does he. He advice me, guide and support me and I couldn't thank Allah enough for his presence into my life. He has gone back to London and has already spent two weeks there.

I let go of the end of my veil as it waved and cascaded down my back resting on my waist. Slipping into my wedge shoes, I did a little twirl before grabbing my Ankara purse and left the room. I have an invitation to perform at an event which will start in an hour.

I ascended the stairs meeting Mami in the kitchen talking to the electrician. I waited until they were done before I talked to her

"Mami I'm leaving"

"Good luck. Say your du'a before leaving" She replied washing her hands

"Inshallah. If Zahra is back she should please meet me there if it's convenient for her" I added and she nodded.

I quickly left the house and headed to the car. After the third ring, hafeez picked up and I situated the phone in front of me before driving off.

"So how was your day? He asked casually as I look straight on the road.

"Good I guess. I went to school, came back and got ready to head to the event"

"Well, a productive day then"

"Yes" I sighed finally looking at him when I was at a traffic stop. He was casually sitting on a couch in a white shirt and black pants with his legs crossed as he sips on an orange juice.

"So how was your day? I asked leaning into the chair

"Good. I just came back and I am both exhausted and hungry"

"Why don't you eat then? I raised a brow

"I'm too tired to cook"

"So go out and eat" I replied in a plain tone

" I want something home-ish"

"That's not a word hafeez" I said rolling my eyes as the traffic light turned green and I zoomed off

"Yeah whatever. I'm hungry, what do I do? He asked again

"Cook or get married" I replied taking a U-turn

"You are mean. But don't worry, you will receive my wedding invitation soon"

I quickly glanced at him to see if he was joking only to meet a straight face

"Limawo (lmao)" I said trying to act nonchalant even when I started feeling a lump in my throat.

"I'm almost there. I will talk to you later" I said quickly

"Alright. Be safe "

"Insha Allah. Go and eat sir " I said sternly meeting his gaze briefly

"Yeah yeah I will" He replied and the call ended.

I took a deep breath and loosed my strong hold on the steering wheel before slowing down a bit. I didn't realise I was actually speeding off.

After a ten minutes drive, I finally reached the venue. Stepping out, I locked the car and headed inside making a mental note to check the poem I'm presenting again when I'm done with meeting and greeting people.

I forced myself to concentrate on the issue at hand but there was something with what hafeez said that's making me loose focus.

______________________________