Day One

"Kelsey, do you have the stack of papers?" Mrs. Gen, my college professor had asked me. I smiled and handed her the stack gently, making sure to maintain the smile.

I was a teacher's assistant in my final semester of college, and in my second residency and nearly graduating with a doctorates degree in biomedical science. I wanted to become a doctor, and I knew where I was going with my life, or so I thought.

"Thank you, Miss Briggs. You are free to go, see you Monday!" She smiled and I collected my stuff from a nearby desk, making my way out swiftly.

Tonight was going to be great, I was nervous but mostly anxious as there was a new strand of flu going rampant around the country. CEDA made a national statement that it was nothing to be worried about, and everyone went on with their lives.

I walked into the apartment I shared with my boyfriend, Jace. I opened the door but it was freezing. The air in the room was rather cold, Jace never liked it cold. He would die before he'd get cold.

"Jace, I'm back! Are you here?" I shouted, slowly walking in with caution. I hear slight grunting from our bedroom, so I paced myself to the door and gently turned the door knob.

"J-jace?" I say in a hushed whisper, as he turns around with white eyes, a hollowed face, and pale skin. He had blood dripping from his mouth and he was now growling at me. Never had I ever looked at him in such a way, there was something wrong. CEDA was wrong...

I grabbed a nearby kitchen pan and held it tightly in my hands. Jace stumbled to me, his arms trying to reach mine, his mouth open and waiting anxiously to chew on my arms.

I took the pan and briskly aimed for his head, briefly knocking him out. I was finally able to breathe normally, and sat the pan down. Jace was dead...at my own hands. What was I going to do?

I was deep in thought when I heard the hallways of the hotel I was staying in, filled with loud screaming and people running for the stairs. Smoke filled the air as I went outside.

"What's going on?" I yelled as people continued to panic to get out.

"We need to get the roof, there's a chopper up there!" A man with a white suit shared with me, and I followed him. I was shocked to see these people like Jace running around eating people and brutally punching, scratching, and smacking people. The man pulled my arm as to get me to move, and I did so.

By the time we made it to the roof, there were three others, not including the man and I.

"Where's the chopper?" I scrambled to find words through my panic. 

"It's gone. They left us here." The woman said, sending shivers down my spine. 

They left us for dead.