Hard Rain: Mill Escape

We had the gas canisters on our backs, as we gathered up any extra ammunition that had been laying around from other survivors. I still had hope that one day we'd find more survivors. Zoey, Francis, Bill, and Louis were the only other group we had encountered, and we wondered if they were still okay...or at least, I did. 

"Through the fields, and then we best be takin' that elevator back up." Coach instructed, as we began our path back through the corn and sugar fields. The weather was still shitty, but at least we had gas.

The rain was coming down much harder now, I could feel the drops actually pounce onto my skin like heavy marbles. The rain was beginning to fall and hurt my skin. I mentally cursed at the sky, knowing that much worse was to come our way. The wind started to get strong, heavily impairing our vision and hearing. 

"Stay close, y'all!" Rochelle yelled, but I could barely hear her. I closed my eyes, grasping onto Nick's coat. If we got separated in this, we might never find each other again.

At this point, we were walking very slowly. The winds would calm down for a while, and then pick back up. We had to time our moves as carefully as we could.

"Look! It's the sugar mill!" Ellis cheered, knowing that we were getting closer to the Milltown, and one step closer to Virgil. We ran as fast as we could while the wind was low, and the visibility was good. But, it was like a ticking time-bomb.

We made our way through the sugar mill, remembering the curves and avoiding the same pieces of machinery as last time. The storm was beginning to pass, but it seemed like it was longer than another storm I had witnessed.

We were now back on the streets of the Milltown. Following the distinctive lights, houses, and landmarks we remembered passing through the first time around. Things were becoming more familiar as we made it our mission to find the safe house. Which, was very close to us at this point. It had to be.

"Hell yeah, it's the safe room!" Coach yelled, smiling in the meantime. We were sprinting to the safe house. Nick locked the door and boarded it up, making it to where no flooding, or wind would get inside the room.

Before we had gotten the chance to catch our breath, a huge tree limb had fallen before us. The wind was now much louder, and stronger than ever before. The wind had picked up so much, the tree limb had been picked up by the wind and begun ro spin itself in a circle.

"Tornado! Get yo' asses behind something!" Coach yelled, getting under a table. My ears had been popping left and right, as the tornado had torn its way over the room. I closed my eyes, hoping this would all be over soon.

After a while, the sky had gone quiet. Soft rains were the only thing that filled my ears, but I refused to let my guard down.  We all removed ourself from our protective stances, and made our way to the door, looking out to see the utter destruction.

Holy shit.