Swamp Fever: Shantytown

"Shantytown? Really? What a shitty name." Coach remarked, reloading his gun. I think we had gotten more adjusted with the smells and sounds of the swamp. Especially the fucking mosquitoes.

"You're tellin' me. My buddy Keith actually was around here some times as a kid. He would make swamp bombs with the water and mud and he'd throw 'em at trespassers. What a fun dude..." Ellis laughed, reminiscing about the way things were. I needed to find a moment to talk to him about what happened. I don't know who I want. But I did sleep with Nick, and he should know.

Coach kept us going, following the 'road' that went through the little swampy town. Most peoples' houses were wore down, and were probably constantly flooded. We went through the houses, cabins, and some campers for more supplies. There were even a few cars, but they weren't starting. Leaving us with our plan to find some ways out of this murky hell hole.

The steps turned into feet which then led to miles. And we didn't know where we were going. That was what made it worse. Knowing that we didn't know. But, we knew we needed to get to a safe room before sundown again.

"Hey Kelsey, come here for a sec." I slowed down and let her walk to me. She was a little farther back of the walking line up. She was smiling, like she knew something.

"So, you gonna fess up about last night?" Damnit, she knew.

"How did you know?" Rochelle only laughed when I asked her. She was giggling, and blushing more than I had ever seen her. It made me laugh, seeing her occupied with something other than just endlessly walking through the swamp.

"It was obvious to me, 'cause you had told me about the feelings you've been having for the both of them. Speaking of, what are you going to tell Ellis?"

"Who is going to tell Ellis what?" Ellis smiled, and turned around to face us. Rochelle laughed, and caught up with Nick and Coach. Ellis came back to walk with me, and grabbed my hand. He held it like it was his duty to. This was going to be harder than I thought.

"Let's split up into teams. This should make finding a saferoom easier. Coach, myself and Nick will be headed east. You two head west. Radio me in, Kel." Rochelle tossed me a walkie, and headed off in the opposing direction.

"Ellis, there's something you should know. But don't freak out, because I'm not even sure what I'm feeling. I don't really know what I want and I don't know what you think-" I was cut off and totally taken aback as Ellis leaned in to kiss me. I felt bad for kissing him back, but at the same time I loved every second.

"Wait..." I pulled away from the kiss. I had to tell him, he deserved to know the truth. He stepped closer to me, and held my hands in front of his chest. He looked deeply into my eyes, and spoke softly.

"Listen, Kelsey. Whatever you need to say, say it. But I need to tell you something. I know you slept with Nick. He got his chance, but let me have mine. You need to see both sides of the story. I love you, Kelsey. And I think I proved that I would die for you on more than one occasion. Trust me." He seemed sincere, and meant well. I smiled, feeling better about him knowing.

"I trust you, Ellis. I really do." I smiled, and he lovingly hugs me. He sweeps me off of my feet and spins me around. He made me feel so magical, and special. He didn't just say things, he meant them. The old saying goes, actions speak louder than words.

"Let me give you the best night you've ever had."

Nick was rough, and lustful. But Ellis was gentle and careful, and knew exactly what I wanted. He made me feel something nobody else had ever made me feel.

"Promise me, you'll never let me go." Ellis said, as he took his ball cap off. His eyes never left mine. His hands never leaving my side.

"I promise." I smiled, and leaned in for a kiss. The kiss melted me from the inside out.

He took my shirt off, and I took his. I laughed, as he struggled to undo my bra. I kissed his neck, as he undid his belt. He carefully lifts my body onto the ground, surrounded by beautiful forested trees, but protected by surrounded buildings. I knew we were safe, and I knew that whenever I was near Ellis, I was safe.

"I love you."