Hopes and Dreams

We had been at the prison for a few months now, and it had been the perfect place for us. It was safe, comfortable, and huge. There was plenty of room for all of us, and more.

I was nearly eight months pregnant, at this point. Nick and Ellis has still been on edge about my safety. Anything I needed, they got. Anytime I had a wince of pain, they jumped at the conclusion that I was in labor. Which, happened often.

"It's just Braxton hicks contractions. They're not real." I explain, trying to get as comfortable as I could. The pain was strong, but I had handled it well before. Why not now?

"Yeah, but those books say that you shouldn't always trust that it's just Braxton hicks." Ellis tried to reason with me, but with pregnancy brain there wasn't much leeway. I was so sure in myself, that I kept calm within my pain.

A few minutes went by again before another contraction hit.

"Ow!" I bent myself over the coach, and yelped. It was like I had been brutally punched, and was being tortured.

"I think you should sit-" Ellis stopped before I could fully stand up. He knew his boundaries when it came to being overly protective.

"I think you should sit down!" I yell, clutching my stomach in pain. There were sharp needles piercing my spine, and knives being dragged across my abdomen.

"Kelsey, woah..." Nick caught me before I fell limp, the pain was getting unbearable.

"The baby is coming, so get yourselves together."

I screamed, yelling every terrible word within the span of the English language. Nick looked focused, but concerned. He had never knocked somebody up before, let alone seen a woman in labor. Ellis looked scared shitless, as he hadn't seen any of this before.

Rochelle was the calmer of the bunch, she was getting everything ready like I had taught her, she was going to be the one to deliver my baby. Coach was the only one who had been there, and done this. Coach was able to keep the men calm, and gave Rochelle some helpful tips.

"Kelsey, listen to me. You have to breathe, and count to ten."

I counted, and followed the patterns Rochelle and I had went over. I did my best to push, even when it hurt like a son of a bitch. Nick was on my right, gripping my hand tightly, anxiously looking at Rochelle.

Ellis was on the other side of me, holding my hand tightly. They were both eyeing me with intense looks of fear. I couldn't help but laugh, as I felt another drop of sweat fall into my eye.

The room fell silent as a faint cry was heard exploding from the room. The pain was gone, and I could only focus on her.

"It's a girl." Rochelle handed me the baby, and I wrapped a clean towel gently around her tiny body.

"She's beautful, Kelsey." Nick looked directly at her, smiling in pure awe of her beauty. She was beautiful, and I would learn to protect her at any means necessary.

"Okay, spit in these. It's the only way to find out exactly who the father is."

I was too busy, gripping onto my baby girl to listen to the anxiously awaited news. I cleaned her off with the towel, and watched as her fingers wrapped around my finger. She wasn't crying anymore, and her eyes revealed it all.

"Congratulations, Nick. You're the father."

I smiled, and let Nick closer to her. She smiled as Nick leaned closer to my shoulder. She shared the same blue eyes as Nick.

"She's perfect. She's our little miracle." Nick says, flashing a smile at me. He leaned towards me, and left a kiss upon my lips.

I knew our story was far from over, but I could relish in the moment. In this moment, we were safe. My baby girl was safe. That was enough for today.

Everything was perfect.