The Parish: Quarter

"They're already surrounding the quarter..."

"Jesus, I hope CEDA is actually out there." Coach had always been the positive one of the crew. Rochelle usually sided with Coach and made some sassy comment following. We were losing our hope of surviving.

I couldn't give up. There was a life counting on me now. Giving up would be submitting to giving up on someone that had no choice in the matter. Who was I to play God?

"Really makes ya wonder."  Ellis commented, looking through the bars of the safe room door. There were quite a few infected roaming in the quarter. We did what we had to do.

"Kill all sons of bitches, right?" Ellis laughed, and grabbed all of his weapons. The rest of us did the same. Nick kicked the door down, and we made our way into the quarter. The sound of rapid  fire filled the air, and filled my ears.

The blood was splattered everywhere, on the walls of the quarter, on the floor. It looked like a scene from a very graphic horror movie. I tried to pretend that it wasn't there. But it was. Nonetheless, we had to keep moving. CEDA waited patiently for no one.

We made our way through many buildings and hallways, but with the sound of helicopters flying  over we decided to stop. A few moments passed, and then a sudden shrill of sound shook the ground we were standing on. They were bombing us.

"Why the hell?" I screamed, as I fell to the floor. The ground shook so hard, the objects in the room fell abruptly to the floor as I had. Luckily, I didn't hit my head. I didn't not a head injury right now.

Rochelle helped me up, and we kept going. Staying would lead us to be bombed, moving gave us the advantage of time. The appearance of giving us time. Time was such a forever thing. Once the time had passed, you couldn't go back and change anything. You're just stuck in the moment, the natural flow of running time.

The next thing I know, we're on the rooftops of some apartments. At the bottom was a tractor with several floats. It had a board of wood on the top, a way for us to get through to the next street over. It was going to be tough, but we didn't have time to waste. CEDA waits for nobody.

Nick turns the tractor on, and it slowly makes it way through the quarter. The familiar old-fashioned New Orleans parade music cascaded through the air. If this wasn't the apocalypse I might have appreciated it a bit more.

"Come on, let's keep going." Nick shouted, walking across the wood panel. We were in another apartment complex, making our way down the sets of stairs. There's no telling how many calories I had been burning running all over the southeast of the Untied States.

I kept my head up, and kept my ears open. It was strangely quiet, other than the occasional bomb being dropped just miles away from us.

We followed the beaten path and found ourselves on a rather empty road. The housing was torn apart, and the cars were twisted and turned about on the street before us.

We went through the apartments which led us through an alley way and put on the right path towards another safe room.

We could see a fallen bridge, a part of the highway system that led to the bridge out of the city. The bridge was our last chance to reach CEDA on the other side.

We tread through the aray of stray cars and fallen pieces of the overpass that had since been torn apart. It was mostly vast, but a few infected were still lingering about the area. Overall, it was a pretty smooth trip especially compared to the rest of New Orleans.

"We're safe!" I say, smiling. At least we had reached the bridge. The last thing we needed to do was get across to the other side.

"For now..."