The Rules

"You five are more trouble than we thought."

"Yeah? Can't say we haven't heard that one before." Rochelle sighed, and laughed. The soldiers weren't very amused. A soldier came over to Rochelle slowly, my fear growing larger for my group member and friend.

The soldier smacked Rochelle with the butt of his gun. I screamed, and ran over to her. One of the guards grabbed my shoulder, and tossed me on my back. It hurt like a son of a bitch. My head was spinning in circles, and I could feel a bruise forming on my lower back.

"Don't touch her!" Ellis yelled, and I turned my head towards him. The floor felt like frozen concrete beneath my pale skin.

"Hey! What in the world do you think you're doing? The two possibly pregnant women and you try to hurt them? You can't follow Colonel's orders? What will he have to say about this?" A young woman came in the door, shocked at the sights that met her eyes.

"Uh-" The man looked like a deer caught in the headlights. It did make me happy to see he had some sort of supervisor.

"Save it, Doug," she smiled, "I've been waiting for you to slip up for months! Sweet revenge..." The woman seemed to be on our side.

"Who are you?" Rochelle chocked out, half-heartedly. Her nose was bleeding, but seemed to stop. The man that hit her was very strong, meaning that it would probably leave bruises and trauma behind.

"People like to call me Mrs. Hallows, I prefer professional escape artist." The woman was wearing black leather pants paired with a white-collared button up with a blue trench coat. She smiles at us, and helps untie our restraints.

I smiled, and stood up.

We were getting the hell out of here.

The plan went smoothly, until it came time for me to do my part...

"Remember our plan. Don't mess up, because I can't lie for you or I'll be executed." Mrs. Hallows comments, making herself clearly understood. I could understand her persistence with keeping a clean slate with CEDA. They still had military power, even as the country was torn apart in nearly entirely anarchy.

"Thank you so much for your help, are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Ro offered the woman a chance at her own freedom, instead she instinctively turned it down. She was just trying to help others, but she deserved to rid herself of her duties to CEDA. That just wasn't my place to pry.

"I have more people to liberate."

I looked at everyone, and smiled. The last two months, we've grown so much closer as a group. As friends, even. It was great not worrying about infected, but it seems so far that the living are far more dangerous than the dead.

We didn't question her logic, but we continued with the plan. Which was based on each of us causing distractions for each other, and the last person would be protected by Mrs. Hallows herself. The last person, was me.

"What do you think you're doing here?" A security guard had seen my presence within the darkened room, which had a hidden underground tunnel leading into the streets. Only Mrs. Hallows knew of the tunnel, as she was the arbitrator.

"Oh, leave her be. I told her to meet here." The man didn't move, "Did I stutter? Get out." Mrs. Hallows commands, and he does as she says. She locks the door behind him, ensuring the safety of both myself and her ass.

"You know what to do. Stay safe out there, Kelsey. The world needs you."