[49] facetime

"facetime, ellie? i didn't think that was your style." sebastian joked as he pressed the accept button and nora's face appeared on the screen.

"oh, i love facetime. it's just like a phone call but you can't hide from me."

she watched carefully for his dimples to form and the blue light to shine in his eyes as he looked closely into the camera.

at the same time sebastian was watching nora gazing at him with a look of fake sternness plastered on her face, he was about to tell her that she looked beautiful when he was interrupted by a sudden meow on the other line.

"sorry that's my cat," she giggled and reached out of the frame to pick up the feline, "how are you today miss barbra?" she asked the cat as if it would answer.

"you got everything you wanted, huh?" he asked out of nowhere, eyes transfixed on the girl playing with the cat in front of her.

nora tilted her head to the side and brushed away the strand of hair that fell over her eyes, "what?"

he shrugged and gestured a hand towards the phone, "you know what i mean, ellie." his tone turning harsh as if he was mad, he just didn't want to say it.

"i don't know what you mean." she replied quietly, not nearly as hostile.

"the dream role, the cat, the nomination, the house, i mean, come on! you have it all."

nora just shook her head and looked down at the sheets in front of her, "not everything."

"what more could you want?" he asked, seeming rather interested because whatever it was he would make it happen, he had to.

"i don't know, i guess a vacation would be nice."

seb took all of a minute and thirty seconds to think about it before deciding.

"let's go, then."

she giggled a little and a soft smile spread across her face, "i wanna go to hawaii."

"done."

then a silence settled between them, the only thing to be heard was the whir of fans or the occasional meow from nora's cat. it wasn't awkward or in any way comfortable, just quiet.

"do you think you'll ever give me another chance?"

nora was caught completely off guard and didn't lift her eyes to look into the camera. she said nothing, just continued to look down as sebastian realized how badly he had fucked up.

once she started the slight sniffles before she began to all out sob, sebastian wanted to cry himself.

"shit, ellie, i'm so sorry. i didn't mean to make you cry, promise."

she just shook her head and finally looked up to look at him with a distant tear filled stare.

"it's not that," she sobbed, "you have no idea how many nights i cried myself to sleep just hoping you'd ask that. how much i wanted you and i loved you, but i tried to convince myself
we weren't supposed to be together."

"we're supposed to be together, ellie. you and me. i love you more than my life, baby."

she smiled brightly through her tears, "let's go to hawaii."