twelve

will slowly sat down beside mike. of course he was stuck beside him.

for some reason sophie was glaring daggers at el, having already decided that they weren't gonna get along

"so you're wills girlfriend!" el said happily extending her hand out for sophie to shake

sophie hesitated before stating, "yeah, i am".

mike flinched and looked utterly confused, "but i thought you were..." he trailed of, staring at will with a puzzled expression.

will simply shrugged and intertwined his hand with sophie's. 

mike felt his heart drop and he moved way from el who had previously had her arm wrapped around him.

will didn't miss mike's strange movements as mike attempted to move slightly closer to will

"so.... you're straight?" mike asked softly. his eyes not moving from sophie and wills intertwined hands.

he wanted nothing more than to grabs wills hand from sophie and intertwine it in his.

will froze. not wanting to lie to mike.

but he wanted mike to feel the same way he did. to feel the same pain he did whenever he saw mike and el together.

instead sophie spoke up, "he's....bi"

"bi? but you said you were gay?" mike asked, moving even closer to the other boy.

at this point el was glaring at mike angrily.

will began to panic and said something along the lines of, "me and sophie have to go or were going to miss our movie" while he pulled sophie towards the door.

mike again, felt his heart drop and tears well up in his eyes as he watched will walk towards the door. he wanted to yell out and ask him to stay but he found it impossible to say anything.

instead the just sat that frozen as will walked away with his girlfriend.

he finally understood how will felt.

——

"we haven't even eaten yet" sophie complained as will pulled her towards the car.

"why did you do that?" will asked once they got into the car.

"do what?"

"say you were my girlfriend?"

sophie tapped her fingers on the steering wheel and said softly, "to make him jealous"

will laughed, "to make mike jealous?? mike's straight soph. he actually has a girlfriend"

"you don't know that"

"yeah i do" will said rolling my eyes

"it worked though byers" sophie said gently

"you're crazy"

"no i'm not" sophie pointed her manicured finger at the diner where will could clearly see mike staring at them while el... was yelling at him?

will watched as mike stood up and pulled away from el. he couldn't hear what they were saying but he could read mike's lips as he said something like, "i'm leaving"

"he's coming over here" will whispered urgently

"told you" sophie said again

"this isn't good!! he thinks we're dating now sophie"

"so let him" sophie stated

"this won't end well" will said anxiously

"or it could end perfectly. sometimes it's worth the risk"

"it won't, nothing in my life ever-" will was interrupted by someone knocking on his window.

he turned to see mike wheeler crouched down, gesturing for will to roll down his window.

instead will got out of the car.

he could see a crying el walking towards them, screaming mike's name.

"byers... can we talk you're being weird and-" mike began, pulling will over to his car

will glanced at sophie hesitantly, sophie gave him an enthusiastic thumbs up.

"i don't know..." will said softly. staring at his crying sister.

"please" mike said.

will had never heard mike so sad before, so.. lost. that's all it took to convince will to get in the car with mike wheeler.

"aren't you gonna talk to el" will said pointing at the girl walking angrily towards them.

"no. let's get out of here"

"mike she's gonna be so mad"

"you know what, i really don't care" mike said flatly, pulling out of the parking lot.

"where are you bringing me mike, sophie's waiting and-"

"oh right your girlfriend" mike said tauntingly but the jealousy seeped through.

will rolled his eyes.

"el wants to move in with me" mike stated, his eyes looking anywhere but at will.

and just like that.

wills heart broke.