sixteen

"what do you think of this?" el asked stepping out of a change room to show Mike t-shirt for what seemed like the 1000th time that day.

"you look great el" Mike muttered, not really paying attention

el sighed and walked back into the change room to put the next thing on.

mikes mind was stuck on will not on the gorgeous girl he was supposed to be on a date with.

instead his mind was focused on the Byers boy

was will okay

was will happy

was will safe

did will hate him

the last part is what his mind couldn't move past.

the idea that the person Mike cared about more than anyone in the world hated him, broke his heart

Mike needed to fix things with will more than anything else

"does this look okay?" el asked with a grin stepped out of the change room yet again. this time with a short black skirt and a pastel pink crop top on.

"it would look so good on will" Mike said subconsciously

"what?" el said slowly, her eyes narrowing

mikes face paled, "I- I said that it looks so good on you"

el laughed, "I heard what you actually said Mikey"

mike wanted to say "but I want lying"

because he wasn't

will would look so hot

he would look so pretty in it

but then again will looked pretty in anything.

"so I was right" el continued. still moving closer to the wheeler boy who seemed almost scared.

el laughed, "you are a faggo-"

"is there a problem here?" came a voice from behind Mike.

a voice Mike knew all too well and made jealously bubble like lava in the pit of his stomach.

it was Sophie.

she stepped in front of Mike and crossed her arms, facing el.

"you can't say that word Jane"

"everyone calls me el" the other girl stays yet she stop advancing.

"yeah? well I call you Jane and uh.. I need to talk to dear Mike over here"

Mike stood up  and didn't even glance at el as he was being dragged into a stall

"look wheeler here's the truth. you fucked up like a lot but I think I you apologize you can fix it." Sophie spoke fast. her eyes never leaking mikes

"I can't he's not in Hawkins anymore. he left."

"then go to him. go to Derry. fix things". 

Mike hesitated before saying "okay, I'll leave tomorrow"

"tomorrow is Christmas Eve. the roads are gonna be awful Mike" Sophie said softly but Mike didn't care

"I'm going. see you around Sophie"

and with that Mike left the change room, shoved past el without saying a word to her and marched towards the clothing racks.

he ran his fingers through the hundreds of pieces of clothing until he found a specific crop top and black skirt.

Mike  nervously placed them on the counter.

the sales woman crinkled her nose and grinned.

"are these for a girlfriend?" she questioned.

Mike smiled softly, "something like that"