twenty three

the two boys  stepped into a cute diner together. mike smiled at the waiter and asked for a table for two. after giving mike a somewhat judgey look in reply the waiter led mike and will to a small booth near the back of the diner.

will felt his cheeks turn bright red and mike took his hand and led him to the booth.

"now what's the plan after this byers" mike said with a smile, leaning forward across the table towards will

will giggled, "i shall be kicking your ass at games in the arcade and then you get to meet the losers"

mike tilted his head, "the losers?"

"yeah it's what my group of friends here call themselves. they all know who you are"

mike grimaced, "im assuming it's not the best things"

will bit his lip " i mean i was pretty hurt so they did hear some... things you know but they'll care about anyone i do so.."

"im sorry will"

will shook his head and began to protest mikes apology

"no will listen, i chose some girl over my bestfriend who's been there for me all my life. i have always loved you. not her. that one halloween i told you crazy together, but when you needed me most, i wasn't there. so will im sorry. i will never leave you like that again okay?"

will felt tears coming to his eyes as he smiled, "thanks mikey"

"always byers, and hey i'm thinking of moving here you know... if you want me. we can finally have the relationship we've wanted for so long here. maybe a good future. consider it?" mike said, brushing wills hair out of his face and letting his hand rest on the smaller boys cheek.

"i would love that mikey. stay"

"then i'm staying, never leaving again"

and for the first time in years will and mike felt the final puzzle piece fall back into place. a true feeling of content and happiness fell over both boys. everything was finally as it should be.  byers and wheeler together again.

as the two boys finished dinner and walked towards the arcade, snow gently falling on their figures. will intertwined his fingers in mike's. not caring who saw or what anyone would think, mike turned towards will.

"will i-.."

"yeah?" will said softly staring up into mike's eyes. the cold wind turning his cheeks a rosy colour and snow landing on the boys eyelashes.

"you're beautiful." mike whispered. he then leaned closer to will and put a hand on the boys cheek. "i love you byers".

will intertwined his hand in mike's sweater and pulled himself towards mike's lips.

as their lips collided it felt as though fireworks were going off. mike wrapped his arm around wills waist and drew him closer. neither boy had felt like this kissing someone before. it felt right. both boys had been wanting this for years, wether they had been willing to admit it or not.

mike softly smiled down at will once they broke apart. "yknow byers. i was wrong. i don't think we were ever meant to be just friends"

and with that he pulled will towards him once again. both boys felt at peace. as though there had never been the upside down, no demegorgon, no one had died, el had never came between them. in that moment only will and mike existed. and they felt infinite.

love was in the air that night.