fourteen

"Byers? is that you?" a voice will knew well said

will glanced up, even with his tears blurring his vision he could make out that it was robin shutting her car door and hurrying towards him.

"what are you doing kid? you're gonna get hypother-" she froze her eyes locked on the tears streaming down wills face. "what happened Byers" she said more softly this time, placing her  hand on wills shoulder.

"bring me back to Derry" will said standing up abruptly

"what?" robin said, sure she heard him wrong.

"I need go back I- I can't stay here and pretend to be happy for Mike and el when it's really breaking my heart and i can't spend Christmas somewhere where no one even notices my presence" will pleaded.

it took his tear filled, heart wrenching,
"please" for robin to whisper "okay"

she wrapped her arm around the boy and led him to her car. "let's go get your stuff first and you can tell me what happened"

----
they reached the wheeler house by time will was done his story

"a-and not only is el staying with Mike like a married couple but Jonathan is staying too so I have no one I'm just forgotten again. I c-can't" will broke down sobbing again, not being able to finish his sentence.

robin wrapped her arms around the shaking boys body, "I'll go get your stuff and talk to your mom okay? you stay here"

"okay" will whispered

and within seconds, robin was gone, leaving will alone with his thoughts

--------
mikes POV
________

He felt awful no actually, he felt horrible as he watched will walk away sobbing, knowing that it was his fault.

he wanted to chase after the boy, he really did but he thought it would make matters worse.

so he simply got back in his car and took the long way home.

the house was deserted when he got back, well except for a pissed off el

"what the hell was that Mike" she hissed hitting the boys chest with each word she said

Mike backed up quickly, "look el, I just wanted to make sure will was ok an-"

el glared at him and cut him off, "are you a fag?" she asked

Mike felt like he'd been slapped in the face. el clearly didn't understand how vile that word was but either way it hurt.

"you can't use that word el" he said softly. his eyes filling up with tears, his heart in his throat. he didn't know exactly why that word had hurt so bad but it did and now he finally understood how will felt.

"why not?" she said crossing her arms, "well are you? are you queer like Troy says you are? is will your boyfriend?"

Mike wanted to scream I wish he was but instead he settled for shaking his head and saying, "im not gay, I love you remember?"

el bit her lip, thinking. "well okay..."

she was about to say something else when the front door swung open revealing a very pissed off looking robin

Mike muttered a hi but robin ignored him, shoving past him to reach wills room

"what are you doing?" Mike called but got no response

his answer came three minutes later when robin emerged from wills room with wills duffle bag slung over her shoulder and his sketch book in her hand.

Mike felt his heart drop and his breathing stop. everything seemed to come crashing down on him as robin walked towards the door.

"is he leaving?" Mike whispered.

Robin spun around so she was facing Mike, "yes, yes he is. he wants to spend Christmas with people who care about him."

"I care about him" Mike said, his voice breaking as tears threatened to spill down his cheeks.

"do you Mike? because I recall you not talking to him for months while he was in Derry and ever since you met el, you forgetting about your so called bestfriend" with that robin spun back around and walked out the door, slamming it behind her.

a single tear ran down mikes cheek, glistening in the light. he quickly wiped it off before el could see.

and honestly, he had never hated himself more. 

him and el stared out the window as will drove away, with every mile robins car put between them, mike felt his heart ache more and more.

"guess I had nothing to worry about" el said laughing

"do you not care that he's gone?" Mike asked, the pain in his heart growing

"no, not really, now I have you all to myself," she said softly placing her hand on mikes cheek.

Mike froze, not really wanting el anywhere near him at the present moment.

when el pressed her lips to his, he imagined it was will. will with his hand on his cheek, will with his lips pressed against his own.

it was so wrong

so disgusting

because Mike wheeler was straight, not some queer and he had a perfect girlfriend....

but then why did imagining will kissing him feel so exhilarating and nice

and why did Mike cry for days after will left and sleep in wills bed, in one of wills oversized hoodies

like one might do after a breakup

Mike tried to avoid el for the next few days, all her questions about if he was a "fag" or not. because absolutely hated the question cause honestly

he didn't even know.