twenty

"will wake up" mike whispered shaking the byers boys shoulder.

"what" will said softly, his eyes fluttering open and meeting mike's.

mike bit his lip, unsure what to say. "I was bored." he finally stated. his eyes not leaving wills sleepy face

will giggled softly,rolling over so his head as resting on mikes knees. "you woke me up because you were bored?"

the wheeler boy scoffed, "I mean, it is 12pm will"

will smiled, lifting his head slightly so his eyes met mikes. "okay then mikey, what do you wanna do?"

"draw me like on of your French-" Mike said, in a very poor impression of rose

the smaller boy laughed, sitting up. "no seriously, what do you wanna do?"

mike reached over and ran his fingers through wills hair, his hand coming to a rest on wills cheek. "I was being serious. you're good at drawing, can you draw me?"

wills face flushed, "I don't know Mike I'm not that good and-"

Mike shushed him quickly, his finger pressed against wills soft lips. "please Byers?"

will sighed, the truth was he'd never drawn anything as perfect as the raven haired boy before and he wasn't sure he'd be able to do Mike justice.

"okay" will huffed finally, sliding out of bed. he walked slowly over to his dresser, pulling out his sketch book and many different pencils that Mike couldn't understand the need for.

Mike felt his stomach erupt into butterflies as wills shirt moved up, exposing a small strip of pale skin.

friends don't feel that way about eachother. Mike thought, his heart racing.

he was jerked out of his thoughts as will placed a hand on his knee. will had pulled over a chair and was now sitting about three inches away from Mike. his body leaning forward, so forward that their noses were almost touching.

"I need you to tilt your head like this, and move forward like so," will instructed, delicately moving mike face with his dainty hand.

will felt his face turn bright red as he slipped forwards, his hands falling on mikes shoulders in order to steady himself.

"I'm sorry" will whispered breathlessly

Mike couldn't gather enough courage to say anything in return. instead he stared back into wills eyes. his hand finding it place one again on wills cheek

"you look so beautiful" Mike whispered

will smiled bashfully and began leaning closer.

after a small pause, Mike began to do the same

the air was tense, like before a storm.

wills arms were now wrapped around mikes neck, the hand on his cheek slowly pulling him closer to the other boy.

seconds before their lips touched, the phone rang and will jumped away.

both boys froze for a second, the realization of what had almost just happened hitting them at the same time.

the thing was both had wanted it to happen

"I- uh- I'm gonna get that" will stammered before racing out of the room

Mike felt his heart drop as will left

it had been so fucking close

so close it hurt

"it's for you Mike" will called from downstairs

Mike hesitantly walked down the creaking staircase to where will was standing holding the byers phone.

"it's el" will whispered, pain displayed on his angelic features as he handed the other boy the phone. "I'll be in my room of you need me."

Mike waited until the other boy was out of the room to speak, "hello"

yelling soon blasted through the phone and into mikes ear. Mike winced, pulling the phone a few inches away from his ear

"how dare you abandon me on Christmas Mike?! and for will of all people? you didn't even say goodbye. I'm supposed to be your girlfriend"

"i know el I'm sorry just-" Mike started

"you really are a fag huh?"

wills face danced through mikes mind as el said those words, and that alone was enough to give Mike the courage to say.

"yeah, yeah I am."