twenty one

"you okay mike?" will asked softly, slowly approaching the other boy. who was seated on the byers couch, head in his hands

"me and el broke up" mike said softly

byers sat down and gently wrapped his arm around mike, pulling mike towards him. "i'm so sorry mikey"

"i- it's okay, i didn't really like her anymore anyways" mike said slowly, finally turning to face will.

"oh, well i guess that's good?"

"yeah it is. she wasn't the best anyways"

"what do you mean?"

will shouldn't feel so happy about this, his bestfriend had just lost someone he had once said he loved but all will could feel was relief? it was like a breath of fresh air.

"i couldn't be myself when i was with her" mike finally replied. "but i never felt as though i couldn't be myself around you" he added after, so quietly. mike sighed, "sorry will, for everything. i never should've put anyone before you, especially her. you've been nothing but kind to me and you've always been there for me. i really don't deserve you, and if you had any idea how much you mean to me...."

"of course i'll always be there for you mikey, crazy together, remember?"

"yeah" mike whispered, a soft smile spreading across his face. "hey will... there's something you should know."

will remained silent but moved slightly closer, placing his hand on mike's knee, as though to comfort him.

"i- i think i might be- gay?"

"yeah?" will said gently, mike felt his heart flutter with relief as will showed no signs of disgust, he almost seemed happy? "why do you think that mike?"

"well..." mike said before pausing. "there's this guy and for the longest time he's made me feel different than any girl, anyone ever has. and i didn't realize why for the longest time, until i think it was too late and i wish i could take everything back and redo it but i can't. i was so scared to tell you because i thought you'd be disgusted that your bestfriend had feelings for you and.." mike's eyes widened as he realized the words he'd just spoken.

will couldn't breathe. he scanned mike's face, searching for a hint of a lie, but there was none. simply a very very red faced embarrassed boy. "you... you have feelings for me?"

"yes" mike whispered, placing his hand on top of wills. "for the longest time"

will grinned, his eyes meeting mike and feeling the familiar feeling of butterflies in his stomach, but this time it wasn't of jealousy or nervousness it was happiness, will had a chance. with the guy he'd been in love with since he was a child.

"yeah, me too mike", will leaned his head on mike's shoulder as mike played with his hair

"what does this mean for us will?"

"whatever you want mikey"

mike grinned, "well, i would love to bring you on a date"

wills breath caught in his throat, "really?"

"really, anywhere you want"

will leaned over and kissed mike's cheek, "it's a date"

A/N: hey loves! sorry i took literally forever to update, schools just been super hectic, and sorry this is such a crappy chapter🥺 anyways! i love u all so so much & i hope u have a great day/night