CH 12//Dohnuts

After school, Alex had asked Charlie to come over. Charlie agreed, and ended up playing hide and seek in the woods with the neighborhood kids. There were five of them. Opal who was the oldest of the bunch, she was 13. Then there was the Twins, Rickey and Riley, aged 6. Kiara, who was 8. And then Tino who was 5. They all played around the Treehouse they had made last summer.

The hours passed, and before any of them knew it, it was sundown.
"Come on yall, it's ganna be dark soon!" Alex called out to the group.
"Aw come on, just a few more minutes?" Tino pleaded.

"Sorry kiddo, but I'm sure your mum wouldn't be pleased if you got aten up by the wolves".
Charlie looked around him a little scared. He knew Alex was only fibbing, but it made him realise how much danger they could be in real soon. The trees started to become tall dark figures, almost looking like giant hands.

"Aw come on Alex, ain't no wolves ganna eat us!" Tino argued.
"Oh yeah? Just look at what happened to Tommy"
"Who's Tommy?"
"Kid who was here before any of yall. He stayed out till the stars came out and a wolf ate him!"
"Nuh-uh!"
"Yah-huh! Now come on!" Alex turned back to Charlie and winked before taking ahold of Tinos hand and making his way towards the trailor park. Charlie stayed close to Alex and looked back to see if the others were coming too. The rest of the kids reluctantly followed, just in case Alex's story was true after all.

Once they reached the trailor park all the kids scattered back to their homes. "Bye guys!" Alex called out to them. He then turned to Charlie. "I'm assuming you gatta get home now?" He asked. Charlie gave him a nod. "Alright, I walk ya there" the blonde said. Charlie wanted to protest, shake his head 'no' to tell him that he didn't have to do that for him. But Alex was already walking away. So Charlie sighed a little but smiled, feeling flattered that he would do that for him. He followed after Alex and the two boys walked down the road that would shortly lead into town.

As they were walking they passed by a laundromat that doubled as a small dohnut shop. The smell of warm dough caught Alex's attention and he stopped for a moment to take it in. It reminded him of when he would help his mother bake cookies.

Charlie looked at Alex, then at the dohnut shop. He then slipped his backpack off and unzipped the front pocket.

The zipper caught Alex's attention. "Wacha doin?" He asked. Charlie pulled out his wallet and headed inside. Curious, Alex followed after him. Charlie walked up to the counter and grabed a sheet of note paper and a pen.

'What kind of dohnuts you like?' He wrote before passing it over to the blonde.

"Oh, Charlie you don't have to do that..." Alex replied. Charlie took the piece of paper and poked him in the shoulder with it as if to insist the boy let him buy him some dohnuts. Alex sighed but let out a chuckle. "Anything chocolate". Charlie smiled and turned the paper over to write a note to the chashier.

'Can I get a dozen order of chocalte dohnuts?' He wrote.

"Of course" The lady said with a smile. She filled up a box and handed to Charlie. "That will be $8.99"

Charlie took out a ten from his wallet and handed to her. After putting his change away he looked up at her again and signed 'Thank you' out of habbit.

'You're welcome' she signed back to his surprise. Charlie smiled big. He wasn't used to other people knowing sign language. He took the box and waved before leaving.

"You know sign language?" Alex asked hopping down the steps. He face palmed himself. "That was stupid of me to ask, of course you would know sign language. When did you learn it?" Charlie held up three fingers. "Dang, when you were three? That's pretty cool". Charlie smiled and handed him the box of dohnuts. "Oh, yeah...thanks Charlie. I appreciate it". He opened the box and handed one to Charlie, who took it gratefully, then grabbed another one for himself. They happily ate their treats as they continued to walk through town.

Alex took a big bite and looked over at Charlie with a mouth a bit too full. Charlie giggled a bit and did the same. They looked at eachother and bursted into a fit of giggles. And every time they calmed down they would look at eachother and start all over again with their laughter. They didn't stop for the whole 10 minute walk back to Charlie's house. The freckled boy stopped in his tracks when they arrived.

"This your place?" Alex asked licking a small dab of frosting off his finger. Charlie nodded, looking at it as if he was about to enter a dark cave. Alex saw his distress and grew concerned. "Your parents won't be cross that you stayed out this late will they?"
Charlie looked back at Alex and forced a small smile. He shook his head. "Okay...well, I'll see ya later kid" he replied. Then he remembered that it was friday. "Oh wait, you wanna exchange numbers before I go?"
Charlie smiled and nodded before taking out his phone. They then put eachother in their contacts. "Cool, see ya!" Alex said. Charlie smiled and waved, watching as the boy walked down the road.

He then turned to face the house. All the lights were off, and his Dad's truck wasn't in the parking lot. Both promising signs. He adjusted his backpack and made his way up the yard. He climbed up the steps and started to push through the screen door. Thats when his father's truck pulled into the driveway.

*****
A/N:
Hey guys! I hope ur enjoying the story so far! I made this a while ago in the pastel girl app but forgot to share it till now...heres Alex!

And heres Charlie!

And heres Charlie!

❤❤❤